"Sorry, but..."

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Topolino Posts: 1659
Why do some people start a discussion/argument with the above? If you're really sorry then don't say what you're about to say. It's like the old "I'm not a racist, but...". If you precede a statement with that, then chances are you [i:3hbipct1]are[/i:3hbipct1] a racist. Likewise the "sorry, buts" just don't hold much weight.
NowGone Posts: 8042
Are you suggesting they aren't sorry at all? :o0
Mrs..D Posts: 1741
Ah sorry now Topolino, she sounded extremely sorry to me ..... :o0 :o0
Miah Posts: 2738
Sorry, but(hehehehehhhh) maybe it's cos the person in question wants to express their opinion but doesn't want to offend anyone??? And maybe wants to know if anyone else has the same view?
Mrs..D Posts: 1741
Every post should now be started with "sorry but" so, to stop people taking offence!! Should stop a lot of the arguments on here! :o0
[quote="Miah":3ook3trk]Sorry, but(hehehehehhhh) maybe it's cos the person in question wants to express their opinion but doesn't want to offend anyone??? And maybe wants to know if anyone else has the same view?[/quote:3ook3trk] That's a bit of a lame excuse. Either make a point or don't. Don't be sorry about it. If you're that worried about offending someone then don't say it.
[quote="Topolino":1tx88orh][quote="Miah":1tx88orh]Sorry, but(hehehehehhhh) maybe it's cos the person in question wants to express their opinion but doesn't want to offend anyone??? And maybe wants to know if anyone else has the same view?[/quote:1tx88orh] That's a bit of a lame excuse. Either make a point or don't. Don't be sorry about it. If you're that worried about offending someone then don't say it.[/quote:1tx88orh] Ah but you see, there have been occasions on WOL where it [b:1tx88orh]hasn't[/b:1tx88orh] been okay to just make your point without getting hopped on from all sides and the resulting witch hunts that have ensued leave the poster wishing they hadnt expressed their opinion i the first place.
So if the person had started with "sorry but", those witch hunts would never have happened? I doubt it very much.
No but they always have the "sorry but" to fall back on, just in case :o0
NowGone Posts: 8042
Sorry but, "sorry but" is a total cop out. Whoever says it isn't a bit sorry at all. I think it comes across as kind condescending. And, if you make a comment that is a trifle curt (As I myself am prone to be) disagreeing the general fluffiness/bridezilla-type madness, you can be damn sure a "sorry but" won't save you from the onslaught.