soup/sorbet

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

montblanc Posts: 385
Is it usual to have a soup course as well as a starter course? don't want to skimp on the meal part but don't want to be spending money needlessly either? What do ye think?
hunky_dorey Posts: 2714
Soup is fairly standard, I've never not had it at a wedding!
*Muffin* Posts: 7243
Our venue insist on 5 courses to include tea and coffee, so we have no choice.
pluppy Posts: 3519
i've never been to a wedding without soup.... but soup was the starter, so if you're having a starter (and a summer wedding) leave it out if you dont want it
Sunbeam Posts: 2721
We're thinking of soup as a starter and then sorbet, but if we choose a different starter, we'll have either soup or a sorbet course too.
Mrs Princess Sparkle Posts: 3854
I think it's standard too. I'm getting married a tXmas so I think soup would be nice & warming, but if I was getting married in the summer I'd definitely go for the sorbet- lovely & refreshing...yummmmmmmmm!!!
Pheebs Posts: 1102
We’ve just been having this discussion. I’d prefer sorbet especially as it’s a five course meal but both my mum and future MIL think soup would be a better choice! O:| It’s for June so I think something light and refreshing would be lovely.
Mrs Princess Sparkle Posts: 3854
I'd go with the sorbet Pheebs. The meal will be heavy enough as it is, plus sorbet is nice & summery!
Pheebs Posts: 1102
I think you’re right Princess Sparkle sorbet it is!
aoifed Posts: 580
Our hotel is the same as muffinmel's - you have to have 5 courses, so we don't have a choice!