Special Needs Assistant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

78 Posts: 69
Hi girls. Don't know if anyone has advice but here goes. I am really hoping to get a job as a special needs assistant. I work as an accountant at the moment so have no relevant experience. But I have a diploma in Montessori Teaching for which I received a distinction and I have my Special Needs Assistant Diploma done, again I received a distinction. I have applied for so many jobs and can't even get an interview. I got one interview a few weeks ago where I did my work experience but my granny died that day and I had to cancel so did not get to do it. A friend of mine has just got a job in a local school as an SNA. She has no experience and absolutely no childcare qualifications of any description. Her sister in law happens to teach there. I'm raging mad - I want this so bad and have been working so hard the last three years getting qualifications etc. So I suppose my question is for any teachers/snas out there. What do I have to do? Any advice would be so much appreciated. Thanks!
chra Posts: 220
Sorry cant help yea but just wanted to say fair play to yea for trying to change your career and best of luck with it. :o)ll
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
I'm sorry I can't help you either...but there has to be a Wolly here somewhere who works as a SNA, there's definately a few teachers. It sounds so frustrating. Keep bumping this up over the next few days. There aren't many people on at the moment. Best of luck.
milis Posts: 7998
Have a look at www.educationposts.com I'm fairly sure they have an SNA section on the forum.
mrs smiley Posts: 393
were are you based 78? I think it was a case of your friend getting the job because obviously the girl she knew put in a good word for her. Its mad to thing that sort of things can go on but living in the real world they do!!!
Belleboo Posts: 924
Hi 78, I know from friends it's really hard to get SNA jobs especially as qualified teachers fill alot of these jobs as teaching posts are so few. I do also know that many SNA's have degrees such as the Early Childhood Care & Education Degree so you are also in competition with them. Is your SNA qualification FETAC level 5? If not you should try to bump it up with further study. Keep trying though and the very best of luck!!
sorcha25 Posts: 532
have u being trying to sec schools as well? dont worry about the girl who isnt qualified as she wont get paid as much as u would as a qualified sna. unfortunately there are a lot of sna courses out there and some ar eonly a few weeks long (not saying yours is one os these) but in short a lot of ppl have this qualifaction and not enough ppl actually qualify for an sna - i know we're fighting for an sna for a student who had one in primary but the moment he's not qualifying for one in sec school. so annoying but I guess they're (dept of ed) can only pay a certain amount) again try sec schools too or do some free work expereince some-where? what school did u do ur work expereince in - get a reference off them and include it when u apply to schools. we just had a girl in for 1 - 2 months 2 days a week and she got a great reference from the principal - this obvioulsy looks well when she applies! hth
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
Hi 78, I'm currently working as an sna in a secondary school on a maternity leave contract. It took a long time and a lot of rejected applications to get it! I didn't even get the job the first time around but the principal rang me the friday before school started in september and said that the person that had originally accepted it had since gotten a permanant post so I was next in line for it! It's getting harder and harder to get a job as an sna. There's a lot more applicants than there is jobs at the moment and places like the college of progressive education keep on churning out more and more people without the jobs to take them. www.educationposts.ie is a website that I have found invaluable! It's the equivilant of this website for anyone in the education industry! Loads of ideas and interview tips there. Unfortunatly for those of us who work so hard to get qualified it definitely seems to be all about who and not what you know. If there's any way you can make yourself available for subbing, get yourself a good cv and take it around to all the schools (primary and secondary) within the distance you are willing to travel. Get yourself known to a few principals if at all possible. Principals talk more than you could ever imagine and word of mouth is a great way to get yourself known. Talk to ANYONE you think might know or be on a board of management/teacher in a school! Don't feel bad about doing it either! I did for a while! Felt that if I got a job I wanted it to be on my own merits but eventually said feck it everyone else is doing it so why shouldn't I? Do keep in mind that it's a very unpredictable job. There's very little job security. At the moment I'm in the position that I'll be out of work in about 9 weeks and have nothing lined up. 12months ago this was fine but now have a mortgage and trying to save for a wedding as well being unemployed is just not an option! I'm not trying to turn you off it! Not by any means! It's a very rewarding job especially with a young child where you can see on a daily basis the impact that you are having on that child's life but just go into it with your eyes open. Best of luck with the job hunting! The righ job is out there for you somewhere but you have to knock on a lot of doors before finding it.
MammySpice Posts: 2501
[quote:1s6lj80k]Unfortunatly for those of us who work so hard to get qualified it definitely seems to be all about who and not what you know. If there's any way you can make yourself available for subbing, get yourself a good cv and take it around to all the schools (primary and secondary) within the distance you are willing to travel. Get yourself known to a few principals if at all possible. Principals talk more than you could ever imagine and word of mouth is a great way to get yourself known. Talk to ANYONE you think might know or be on a board of management/teacher in a school! Don't feel bad about doing it either! I did for a while! Felt that if I got a job I wanted it to be on my own merits but eventually said feck it everyone else is doing it so why shouldn't I? [/quote:1s6lj80k] Totally agree!! Schools are very much run on a "who you know" basis. The only thing to do is to make yourself available to your local school. The last two SNA positions filled in our school were given to people who had "volunteered" many hours of their time in the months leading up to the appointments. Crazy system I know - but it seems to be the way it is...
milis Posts: 7998
[quote="Sugar and Spice!":mx5g8x2i]The last two SNA positions filled in our school were given to people who had "volunteered" many hours of their time in the months leading up to the appointments. Crazy system I know - but it seems to be the way it is...[/quote:mx5g8x2i] Sorry to just quote part of what you said, but I can understand this system. The school has a much better idea of the sort of person they are getting if the person has worked there before, so they know what they're getting *) As regards the 'who you know' mentality, this really annoys me! I think it's more an issue in primary schools though, where the bom are all locals, and the pp has a big say in what happens!