Spicy Food While Pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LittleAJ Posts: 68
I know some books/websites/apps, etc tell you to avoid spicy food while pregnant or at least in the early weeks as it raises the temp of the tummy and least to MC. But i have to admit i have a huge love of spicy/hot food and a high tolerance for it also. Has anyone any thoughts. Ive had some spicy food a few times now over the last few weeks as i just need to. Sambos and soup and stuff and fruit are turing my stomach at the moment but when i feel quesy it just reminds me of those tummy hangovers i used to get after the weekend when all that would help was spicy noodles or some such meals. Id love to hear if its ok to keep going or if i should be avoiding it. :wv
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I've never heard anything about avoiding spicy food to be honest, the only drawback for me would be that it can give me heartburn. I'd say you'd be fine with most spicy food, alot of spicy food that would be served in Ireland probably wouldn't be half as hot as the food that's eaten in countries like India and Thailand so i'm sure you'll be fine.
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
I haven't read a single reputable article, nor have I heard any source of information saying to avoid spicy food in the early stages of pregnancy. I've never heard of anything linking spicy food to an increased risk of MC. The only reasons I can think of to avoid it are morning sickness, and heartburn. Personally, I'vve eaten curry and chilli for the whole of this pregnancy!
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
In the what to expect when you’re expecting book it says that there is no reason to avoid spicy food (unless it’s making you sick or giving you heartburn!) Eat away!
LittleAJ Posts: 68
Eh youve just made my day! My whole year in fact. It was very upsetting to read that i should avoid it. ill be deleting that app pronto. Ill be double checking with the doctor though (not that i dont trust you) but DH was delighted when i told him i wouldnt be making curries anymore until at least April as he thinks im a freak for chillies. I have a serious love of them and its only hightened by my quesiness. Cant really call it Morning sickness as i have yet to vomit but it certainly eases my tummy. I wonder what traits it will give my baba. haha! Hopefully a love of spicy food so DH can just get over it as it will be 2 against one. Chuffed now! :o)ll
tilsun Posts: 4506
[quote="LittleAJ":sex1tuh7]Eh youve just made my day! My whole year in fact. It was very upsetting to read that i should avoid it. ill be deleting that app pronto. Ill be double checking with the doctor though (not that i dont trust you) but DH was delighted when i told him i wouldnt be making curries anymore until at least April as he thinks im a freak for chillies. I have a serious love of them and its only hightened by my quesiness. Cant really call it Morning sickness as i have yet to vomit but it certainly eases my tummy. I wonder what traits it will give my baba. haha! Hopefully a love of spicy food so DH can just get over it as it will be 2 against one. Chuffed now! :o)ll[/quote:sex1tuh7] Don't get your hopes up on baby liking spicy food. I eat spicy 5 nights a week and did all through my pregnancy and breastfeeding. Our LO will literally freak out if there is a hint of spice in her food, full on tantrums!! Not sure when we'll ever be able to stop cooking separate meals for her highness O:|
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
[quote="LittleAJ":2fn1wvzv].... ill be deleting that app pronto. ....[/quote:2fn1wvzv] Good idea. If there's one thing I've learned, it's to be circumspect about from where you get your pregnancy information! There's a *LOT* of misinformation in the interwebz!