Menu

Spike Island

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Synergy Posts: 2768
Hi girls, did any of ye do the spike island tour. I'm doing it on Saturday, looking forward to seeing it. It's only running until the end of september before they begin work on it. I love seeing buildings in their raw state, I love the history around old buildings. So this one should be really good.
lizziebee Posts: 137
hi synergy, how did u book it, would love to do it?
You buy the tickets at the pier. I'm heading down on Saturday, there's a regatta on so will probably be jointed. I rang the office and they're starting the tour at 12 and it will be on demand from then on. I got this off the web Visitors should note the following. Due to conditions on the island such as derelict buildings, heavy vegetation and dangerous uneven road surfaces not all of the island is accessible and the tour is very much a guided tour. Current Health and safety requirements mean that visitors must stay in the company of the guide at all times. Children have to be very strictly supervised by their parents. There is no possibility at this time for individual exploration of the Island. The various hazards and control issues will be explained to all visitors. It should also be noted that for the first 40 minutes of the tour there are no toilet facilities until entry to the fort. Decent footwear is essential and remember there are, as yet, no shops, restaurants of relaxation areas. The roadway from the pier up to the fortress is a moderate incline and some may find the climb challenging. Despite the various issues of safety the tour explores the fascinating history of the island and visits locations and places that reflect its diverse use. We sincerely hope that the Spike Island Guided Tour will be exciting, interesting and provide a fabulous afternoon in Cork harbour and one of Ireland’s most interesting Islands. Introductory price arrangements are as follows: Boats will leave from Kennedy Pier in Cobh daily at 2pm and tickets will be sold at the Ticket Booth there. Adults: 12.50 Euro per person (includes boat trip and tour) Children under 12 cost 8 Euro. Introductory Family ticket of 30 Euro for 2 parents and up to 3 children. (further details at booking office) Enquiries to 4811485 or 4815211 Email [email protected]
lizziebee Posts: 137
very good, sounds intetesting, mite see you there !!!!! be great to see spke after all the years st looking at it !!!! corks very own alcatraz !!!!
I know!!!! Very exciting. I'd only be kicking myself if I didn't see it before the revamp. I always had a thing for handcuffs >:o)
IvytheTerrible Posts: 950
I would love to see it too, not a hope of me going this Sat though, Cobh is a disaster for parking if anything is on :o0 , did ye ever see the queues out Fota road and back to the roundabout if the Independence of the Seas or the other big liners are in >:o( . I don't see what all the fuss is about, I only depress myself whenever I see how the other half live :o0 :o0 :o0 Enjoy the tour Synergy :wv PS If you want a nice place for brekkie, a scone or lunch, go to Bramley Lodge, it's a grey stone building on the left well before Fota, kinda near Millipore ;o)
John Walsh Guitar
I know the place well, Ivy, haven't eaten there but since we have no kids this weekend might treat ourselves. Oh I'd be allergic if there's going to be that much traffic heading in, we were going to head in about 11 so hopefully it mightn't be too bad. We're actually going on the Liberty of the Seas for our honeymoon so thanks for the reminder will be daydreaming for the day now :thnk
IvytheTerrible Posts: 950
Apparently the Crown Princess is in on Saturday, ye should be fine if ye go early. Sometimes if ye were to go in the back way into Cobh, the guards will be around and might have a couple of the school car parks open to park in. I think the problems start when people start parking on the stretch of road on the way into the town and it was never made for that so sometimes only one car can get through at a time. Come back and let me know how you got on, would be interested to hear. Oh and enjoy the dinner and maybe drinkies O-O PS so jealous of ye going on the cruise, sounds FAB :lvs :lvs :lvs