Start yoga at 36weeks???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

little squishy Posts: 559
Hi, Just wounding is there any point doing a few yoga sessions at this stage? I kept meaning to book to go but kept forgetting to enquire about it! I heard it ment to be brill for breathing tech and relaxation. I'm finding it hard to sleep at night too. Not too sure I it makes any diff but I've kept up my fitness throughout so I'm relatively fit? As in would I do myself damage trying something new! If anyone knows of a class in drogheda too I'd appreciate the number. Thanks a mill x
Party Girl Posts: 46
Honestly - Probably not..... Yoga is something you build on over time and you need to learn the breathing techniques which themselves can take time to master. Also you are bound at this stage to be very restricted in movement if your anything like I was @ 36weeks.....
Thanks party girl, I've never done yoga, so wouldn't have a clue. Suppose ill just keep swimming ect, just wanted something new to distract me. Might go get some more Acupuncture instead.
libramoon Posts: 2402
I've been going to pregnancy yoga since 14 weeks and I honestly don't see a problem with you starting it at 36 weeks. The movements are easy ones and its all about relaxation along with learning the breathing which is geared for when you are in labour. I wouldn't try to do normal yoga tho if that is what you're asking. Ring the place and see if they offer pregnancy yoga.
TurtleBaby1 Posts: 693
I would say its never too late to start, its great for relieving back pain and for clearing your head before bed I would definitly advise it. Just take it slow listen to your body and you'll be grand.
Great thanks the replies. Yes it was def pregnancy yoga I was thinking. Ill just call the place that does them and ask the instructor. Would just love something to take my mind of the next few weeks!
Sassypants Posts: 4461
Where I go (in Dublin) there's girls starting at every stage - I don't see the harm in giving it a go, you will sleep better after your first few classes anyway! I do think it's more beneficial the longer you go but in saying that I only started at 21 weeks. Hope you end up going and enjoy it!