Menu

Starting IVF with Galway Fertility Clinic

Go to TTC with Assistance

pink bubbly
New Wolly

Starting IVF with Galway Fertility Clinic

Postby pink bubbly » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:39 pm

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone having or had IVF in Galway Fertility Clinic ?? I am about to embark on my IVF journey and naturally am getting nervous..

My story so far is ,we are blessed with a little princess who is now 3 no issues getting pregnant and had a smooth pregnancy and delivery. We started to try for a sibling and after over a year of trying I got pregnant which sadly ended in a missed miscarriage christmas a year a go.

We then decided it was time to get things checked out and went to Galway Fertility Clinic under Dr Eithne Lowe on the recommendation of a GP friend. After all the tests nothing conclusive showed up all normal just FSH on the high side of normal.

After 2 failed TSI and 2 failed IUI nothing.. Dr Lowe on our last visit believes its to do with my egg quality (Im 37) so all thats left if IVF. We have to watch a 2 hour DVD in the clinic and meet a nurse for prescriptions etc next month and then hope to start in March or May.

Dr Lowe recommended getting a procedure which causes injury to the lining of the uterus to promote healing the month before IVF this is to help implantation.

While doing a little research online today I found alot of posts (UK, US sites mainly) about taking DHEA and COQ10 Supplements which is supposed to improve egg quality.
Dr Lowe didnt recommend any supplements too me so I will call her on Monday to see should I be taking anything but just wondering if anyone has ever taken these for poor quality eggs and if you have had any success????

Would love to hear any success stories in Galway Fertility Clinic or beyond.??? Im trying to keep positive that this will work, but after the last 4 procedures failing I try not to get my hopes up as the disappointment really knocks you for one. I haven't told anyone about our struggle other than the 1 person who is GP friend who is really busy and lives in another county so I dont like to bother her too much, just keep her posted on progress.

:babydust: to all and here's hoping 2016 will be our year
Last edited by pink bubbly on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McDaisy
Princess Wolly

Re: Starting IVF with Galway Fertility Clinic (poor quality

Postby McDaisy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi Pink bubbly

No experience from Galway but we have a success story from Cork! I'm sorry to hear about your loss a year ago.

We had 2 years trying on our own before doing a few unsuccessful rounds of TSI and IUI - our tests showed nothing major- my FSH was ok, and my AMH(egg reserve) was on the low side of normal. We decided to bite the bullet and do IVF and were thrilled to be successful first time with our DS arriving in Nov 14. I didn't have the best results in term of eggs as I was slow to stimulate, with only 5 follicles by day 12 - but 6 eggs were retrieved (5 mature), all 5 fertilised and on Day 3 we had one good and one reasonable grade embryo to transfer (none left to freeze).
Re DHEA and Coq10, I looked into the DHEA idea - my clinic are not really pro taking it. There are potential side effects of taking it, and the evidence for its effect is not great. You need to have your DHEA levels tested before taking it - mine were normal so didn't show a need for it. I did take CoQ10 for 3 months- again evidence isn't great but they are not too expensive and no side effects!
Your doctor is talking about an endometrial scratch- some studies show benefit, so worth a try. I didn't have it done, but I know many of the European clinics do it.
I'm wondering how your doctor knows you have poor quality eggs? What is your AMH? (its a measure of egg quantity anyway not quality) I think the only way you can judge quality really is go through IVF and see what your fertilisation rate and embryo development is like... low reserve is a problem in that you may not get lots of eggs, but you only need one good one!

I'm now starting a second cycle looking for a sibling. Difference this time is that my AMH is down to 5 which is poor. I know I wont get a good haul of eggs but I'm hoping again that one good one will be in there somewhere! :) Its such a stressful thing to go through- make sure you take care of yourself, get some support from your DH and one or two friends/family if you can, and try to be positive that it will work for you. Come on here and you will get lots of support through the process too - good luck! :wv

pink bubbly
New Wolly

Re: Starting IVF with Galway Fertility Clinic (poor quality

Postby pink bubbly » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:40 pm

HI McDaisy,
Many thanks for your reply, congrats on your son delighted it worked first time around for you. Hopefully you will have the same success this time.

I called the clinic last week to ask about the supplements and spoke to one of the nurses who had my file, The clinic like yours don't recommend DHEA they used to years ago but did not see any improvement in results. They said no harm in taking the COQ10 but would prefer healthy diet and lifestyle whats in your blood is in your blood said the Nurse.

I never smoked, am not over weight, drink the odd glass of wine, could do with more exercise but no health issues etc. I asked the nurse to read out the doctors notes again to me. She is calling it unexplained secondary infertility, possibility of poor egg quality but like you said they really cant say if that's the case until they see them in a lab. I guess thats what I took from the appointment and that's what stuck in my head...

My reserve is good fine for age AMH 14. She is looking for 15 eggs to harvest when the procedure comes around ! you done fantastic with your 5 but like you said it only takes 1 and hopefully they will pick a good one again for you.

keep us posted on your progress, I have an appt week after next to get things started ...:babydust: :wv

Lin bride2014
New Wolly

Re: Starting IVF with Galway Fertility Clinic

Postby Lin bride2014 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi Pink bubbly

How are u getting on now? Myself and my hubby have a first stage appointment at the end of this month in the Galway clinic. I'm just gone 37 slim-ish and hubby is 40 we have been trying for a year now...

Has any one prescribed clomid as a friend for mine got it first from her doc before going to fertility clinic. On a very low dose 40mg they got pregnant on the first go... she is 36. I just wondering if the clinic will prescribe it to us first!

I have cleaned up my diet more veg salads and fruit with meat & veg....we both have cut out the junk food to a minimum...

We try not to worry about it and have fun at the same time!!!

Keep us posted to how u get on and I wish u both the best of luck fingers crossed#

Have a good week!!!

Nuby
New Wolly

Postby Nuby » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:19 pm

test

babywish10
New Wolly

Postby babywish10 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi All,

I underwent IVF in Galway last April under Dr Lowe, I was 37 at the time. I have to say I found them great. Really professional and straight to the point. My issues were to do with my AMH being low and my thyroid function was all over the place.

I was put on the short protocol. Once you get the drugs make sure you familiarise yourself with the procedure. Go through every single step a few times so that when it comes to doing the actual injections there are no questions. It means that there's one less thing to worry about. You'll be scanned regularly to make sure you are progressing as planned.

I found the egg retrieval very uncomfortable, it's nothing that can't be managed though, it was a bit painful at times but just stay focused on the end result, it's over before you know it. We got 12 eggs and 11 fertilised. We got a call from the lab every day to let us know what was happening, by transfer day we had 1 good embryo and an alright embryo but nothing to freeze so everything rested on that cycle. I absolutely refused to believe it wouldn't work. I told them that I was going home pregnant. They wanted me to be realistic about it as the good embryo was only a Grade C and the other was a D or an E. I wasn't having any of it. I told myself that staying completely positive was half the battle.

My baby girl was born in January, 10 days early but absolutely perfect. I wish you all the very best in your journey with the Galway Clinic. There's probably something I'm forgetting but I had a really positive experience with them.

John Walsh Guitar
pink bubbly
New Wolly

Postby pink bubbly » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Lin Bride2014
How are you getting on ? where are you in your journey..

Babywish10
Its fantastic to read about your success. I am under Dr Lowe too I find her and all the staff great.

I am playing the waiting game at the moment, the nerves are shot. I had my egg collection last Sunday 8 eggs were got from one ovary as the other ovary was hidden behind the uterus and they would have had to go through the uterus to get the eggs there were only two and Dr Lowe was happy with her 8.
7 of the 8 fertilized and we had one blastocyst come day 5 a grade A and this was put back last Friday .We had a second blastocyst day 6 so this one was frozen. I have to wait 6 more days until I can take a test I am hoping for the best :babydust: trying to stay positive.
Fingers Crossed I hope I will have some good news next week after a tough year xx

Go to TTC with Assistance