Starting to panic now! Please help.....updated PICS ADDED!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsK2012 Posts: 905
Ladies, I think there is something wrong with me that i can't seem to pick a wedding dress or is it that i just haven't found the right one that i'm finding the decision so tough? I thought i had my mind made up & went back to pay the deposit on the Romantica dress yesterday. I brought my 2 sisters with me (who hadn't seen it on me before). One of them said it was lovely & the other just said 'no, i don't like it & don't think it does anything for you'. I'm glad she was so honest but feel like i'm back to square one again now regarding dresses!! I thought it was lovely when i was looking in the mirror (and standing on the podium) but when my sister took photos of me in & showed me the pics i knew what she meant.....i looked stumpy in it! I really loved the Paloma Blanca dress & was telling myself the skirt of it was a bit plain but when i went back to try it on again last weekend i still loved it but being honest it's the price of it that's putting me off.....it's way over budget :o( I shouldn't be teasing myself trying it on again! The Justin Alexander is lovely too but hard to judge what it will actually look like as the sample was much too small & it is also over budget. I really dunno what to to now & i don't have time on my side either O:| This is the link to my previous post with the pics of the 3 dresses mentioned above: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=336270 Any advice?
sylvie guillem Posts: 51
sorry to hear you're having trouble finding a dress. If you really like the Paloma Blanca dress, have you tried asking the shop if they'll sell you the sample? I tried that dress on in April 2010, which means it a few seasons old and the shop might want to make space for new collections. It's worth asking I suppose. HTH.
highbeam Posts: 2578
When are you getting married? Sounds like the romantica is not the one for you. Maybe you should keep looking, have you been to many shops? The first day I went I had 4 people with me - my Mam and 3 bridesmaids and it was great fun. The next day I went I only brought my Mam as I found having four people and the shop assistant giving opinions was all too much and I was more concerned with what everyone else said than what I liked. The day it was only myself and my Mam was great. She didnt say too much, but I could tell that she loved the dress I loved. Your sister was only being honest in her opinions and if you agreed with her when you saw the photos then I wouldnt buy the dress as I would be worrying about what it will look like on the day. If the others are a lot over budget I would go shopping again, if its not too much over budget and you love it I would see if I could stretch to it. Maybe someone would know a designer with similar dresses if you wanted to share your budget?
sylvie guillem Posts: 51
Maggie Sottero does a similar dress with a Keyhole back - Bernadette is the name of it. I don't know the price of the dress but it might be a starting point.
flor Posts: 1621
hi mrsk, sorry to hear you're in a bit of a pickle! can easily happen with dress shopping, so many dresses, only 1 day to wear them :) from reading your post i personally think you should just rule out the PB one right now. give it the chop! It's only confusing the issue and is out of budget. plus it's not a million miles away from the romantica one, style-wise, so you would just be paying over budget for roughly the same effect. plus you've said you think the skirt is a little plain, so it really doesn't sound as if it deserves the extra cost. what exactly was it about the romantica one that you felt made you look 'stumpy'? I'm a bit puzzled by that as it has an empire line (under the bust) which usually has an elongating effect, plus the overall design is relatively simple (no flounces or ruffles which could have the effect of 'swallowing' a petite girl). so not sure how it could make you look stumpy? if it was the shape of it (a-line), then the paloma is also the same shape and should therefore have the same effect? was it the angle from which your sister took the picture? (sorry, prob sounds like a silly question but taking a picture from a bad angle can have an unflattering effect!). also, remember on the day your dress will be altered to fit and you'll have your hair & makeup etc done, so those will also contribute to your looking better in any pictures taken! i think maybe you're putting too much store by what others say and not enough by your own opinions?! you will be the one wearing it, so, as corny as this sounds, listen to your heart on it! If, deep down, you really just prefer the romantica one and feel the most comfortable in it, [i:1psqv2hz]and feel the most comfortable about it in terms of your budget[/i:1psqv2hz], then this will shine through when you wear it. you will also have to think of the cost of alterations, veil (if wearing), headpiece, shoes, jewellery, underwear, bag (if using), cover for your shoulders (if buying). so believe me, it all adds up!! when my sister was getting married last year, when she originally tried on the dress she ended up buying, i wasn't wowed by it at all. however, on the day, she had that glow about her and i genuinely thought she looked stunning! so if you prefer the romantica, just ignore your sister -she'll love it on the day :o0 of course, what ever dress you buy you will get your doubts every now and then, we all do, but there are plenty of other aspects of your wedding just as deserving of your attention! best of luck!
winklefairy Posts: 907
MAybe if you could narrow it down to what shape suits you best it might help - the Romantica and Paloma Blanca are both A line and the Justin Alexander more mermaid/trumpet shaped. Have a think back to all the dresses you tried on (or go and try on some more) and without worrying about the details try and see which shape you like best. If you try on a couple of mermaid shaped dresses that are in your size you'll get more of an idea of what the Justin Alexander will look like when it's in your size.
butters stotch Posts: 107
First of all there is nothing wrong with you! Deciding on the dress is a big decision :) I tried on the Paloma Blanca one in Memories Bridal Boutique in Cork and as it was a sample/once worn it was half the price tag. They have recently opened a store in Dublin too. The website is http://www.memoriesbridalboutique.com/home You could give them a call and see what they have in stock. If you are open to buying a sample/once worn dress you could get Paloma Blanco or Justin Alexander at a bargain price. You should go try on the dresses again maybe on your own or with one other person you trust as too many opinions are confusing. Remember its what you like and feel comfortable in. You could also try ringing around a few other shops to see if they have samples in your size as its impossible to tell if a dress suits when it doesn't fit properly. Agree with winklefairy, deciding on a style and shape first is half the battle. Best of luck with the search, keep us posted if you find something :)
Thanks so much for all your replies and reassurance :) [quote="sylvie guillem":1znpeb6v]sorry to hear you're having trouble finding a dress. If you really like the Paloma Blanca dress, have you tried asking the shop if they'll sell you the sample? I tried that dress on in April 2010, which means it a few seasons old and the shop might want to make space for new collections. It's worth asking I suppose. HTH.[/quote:1znpeb6v] The sample was a bit too small, not much but i would still need to get a size bigger & have it altered. I will check out the Maggie Sottero dress Sylvie, thanks x [quote="shampers":1znpeb6v]When are you getting married? Sounds like the romantica is not the one for you. Maybe you should keep looking, have you been to many shops? Maybe someone would know a designer with similar dresses if you wanted to share your budget?[/quote:1znpeb6v] Getting married 27th of July next year :eek I have been to 9 shops! My budget is €1200 max.....i have €1500 to spend altogether including alterations, shoes, veil & accessories. [quote="flor":1znpeb6v]what exactly was it about the romantica one that you felt made you look 'stumpy'? i think maybe you're putting too much store by what others say and not enough by your own opinions?! [/quote:1znpeb6v] I know the Romantica is empire line but there is a lot of material from the bust down to the ground so i think it makes me look wider than i am. The girl in the shop said it could be taken in a little but not too much. I think you could be right......i'm listening to what everyone else is saying & it's totally confusing me! I couldn't sleep for ages last night thinking about all the dresses O:| [quote="winklefairy":1znpeb6v]MAybe if you could narrow it down to what shape suits you best it might help - the Romantica and Paloma Blanca are both A line and the Justin Alexander more mermaid/trumpet shaped. Have a think back to all the dresses you tried on (or go and try on some more) and without worrying about the details try and see which shape you like best. If you try on a couple of mermaid shaped dresses that are in your size you'll get more of an idea of what the Justin Alexander will look like when it's in your size.[/quote:1znpeb6v] I do think that a-line suits me best & wasn't liking any of the mermaid style dresses i tried on until the Justin Alexander one......i really love the colour of it too :) [quote="tippbride2b":1znpeb6v]First of all there is nothing wrong with you! Deciding on the dress is a big decision :) The website is http://www.memoriesbridalboutique.com/home Best of luck with the search, keep us posted if you find something :)[/quote:1znpeb6v] Thanks tippbride2b! I will contact that shop to see if they would have a sample they could sell me. [quote="kit1982 ":1znpeb6v]Also, remember on the day your dress will be altered to fit and you'll have your hair & makeup etc done, so those will also contribute to your looking better in any pictures taken! [img:1znpeb6v]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img:1znpeb6v][/quote:1znpeb6v] Thanks kit1982. I know you're right.....i suppose i just want to get that feeling of 'oh this is the dress for me'!
seedee Posts: 1017
just to add, i couldnt find the perfect dress either. there were a few almosts, but nothing that WOWed me. and i found an [i:1945xr1d]almost[/i:1945xr1d] perfect one shopping by myself, brought in the bm that would have taste most similar to mine for confirmation the next day, and bought it there and then. im having it altered to be exactly what i want, and although i havent had it all done yet, im delighted with how its working out.
I think i might arrange another shopping trip ladies. Where in your opinion is the best bridal shop with a large selection of dresses that would come in within my budget of €1200?