Starting to panic!!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DaltonToBe Posts: 130
Hi all, We're getting married this august and i'm now starting to panic. We had set our budget out and the money that we need to save each week from my fiances income (we're only on one income at the moment) so everything was going well, we were paying deposits off to the hotel and the band. But then unfortunately my brother passed away three weeks ago and everything then went on hold as I had to go home to Jersey for his funeral (which was very costly) we are now behind with all our payments and I'm really starting to panic that we won't be able to get everything paid before August now. We were on a very tight budget as it was and I don't know how I'm ever going to get back on track with our set budget. Any advice or tips would be well appreciated. Thanks for listening :D
Eleanor Rigby Posts: 1067
Hi Daltontobe, I'm not sure if my advice will be much good to you but I just had to say I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. You poor thing. My heart goes out to you. With your payments, it might be worth looking to see if there is anything you can do with your guest list, or if there are any little extras you were planning that you could instead DIY or leave out all together. Also, it might be worth going to your local Credit Union to look into a loan if there is absolutely nothing you can cut back on. I hope this is of some help :action32 I'm so sorry for your loss.
hils138 Posts: 680
What a terrible thing to happen to you! :action32 Firstly, you need to calm down. Things will be sorted, it just looks worse now because of all that has happened to you. Are you far behind on your savings? If it is only a few hundred euro could you borrow it and pay it back after the wedding? Is there part of your wedding you could ask [u:3islh6tl][b:3islh6tl]close friends or family[/b:3islh6tl][/u:3islh6tl] to pay for as your gift? Like asking a few friends to chip in for the photographer or the flowers. I won't normally advise borrowing for a wedding but if it is only a few hundred euros or even a thousand than you [b:3islh6tl]should[/b:3islh6tl] get that back in cash presents. Remember to take care of yourself and try not to stress. Also if I can offer words of wisdom from an auld married one, there were things that I was concerned about before the day and stressed about and on the day I didn't even notice them!!!
DaltonToBe Posts: 130
Thank you so much for the advice, it's really helpful... It was a massive shock to us all as it was very sudden. I haven't really thought about the wedding for the last 3 weeks so now the panic is setting in... I know it will all fall into place again so I suppose I should calm down really. I was thinking about asking my family to help out a little, as I know they'd understand but I suppose my pride is getting the better of me :D