steriliser?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

shoegal Posts: 323
Ladies what type of bottle steriliser are you going to buy? I'm confused between microwave ones / steam or cold water. Also what brand?? Thanks
grumpy Posts: 1280
I had a microwave steriliser on dd and loved it, so got another one recently. It was so handy being able to stick it in the microwave for 10mins and have everything clean. No messing around with solutions, and it was really handy to store too. Think I got and Avent (sp?) one this time, had a Boots one last time. You just need to make sure that there's enough room in it for the longer bottles too, and then any make steriliser will do any make bottle.
originalwoowoo Posts: 867
I bought the Avent IQ steamer and it keeps the bottles sterilised for up to 24 hours. I also bought the Avent microwave steamer for holidays and nights away and I was so handy. Think it is too small for home use and only holds 4 bottles and each night I did the 6 needed in the bigger plug in one. Just to note that I use all advent bottles in it.
WW - can i ask how it keeps bottles sterlised for up to 24 hours? how does that work? Avent have microwave sterlisers now that hold 6 bottles. How do u manage when you go away? Do you check if the hotel has a microwave?
irish bride Posts: 558
Hi there, The midwife in my antenatal course said the avent microwave sterilizer is the best, and easiest to use! xxx
Moet for me Posts: 1841
Can I just recommend the microwavable bottles that you use the bottle themselves as a steriliser (put some water in the lid and put them in the microwave for the required time) they are available in Mothercare for €20 for 6 but replace the teats with avent teats as the others are completely crap, the are totally fantastic, great on the go saves lugging around a steriliser. I also used the avent non microwave steriliser for 6 bottles it was great too once I sterilised my bottles I said they were sterilised for the day as long as they were closed, trust me you end up making up your own rules on these things and my baby was never ever sick so I'll stick by them. The midwive told me three hours in the steriliser but when you look at the cartons of baby milk they say use with 24hours so it didn't add up since it is the milk and not really the bottle that is generally the issue.
mad woman Posts: 22106
i just used the milton cold water one with the tablets/fluid and then rinsed them with boiled water, although if you are stuck just wash them really well and soak them in boiling (boiled) water and that will sterelise them also.
originalwoowoo Posts: 867
[quote="shoegal":gymrnvj5]WW - can i ask how it keeps bottles sterlised for up to 24 hours? how does that work? Avent have microwave sterlisers now that hold 6 bottles. How do u manage when you go away? Do you check if the hotel has a microwave?[/quote:gymrnvj5] The normal sterilisers keep bottles sterile for 6 hours, so when the six hours are up it runs itself another cycle. In one the hotels we have been in they took the sterliser off me and microed it for me. The other places let me go and do it myself. However, Kellys in Rosslare being the mecca for families has a baby room with sterilisers, kettles, fridges and any formula or food you want!!
[quote="Moet for Me":apr9tqar]Can I just recommend the microwavable bottles that you use the bottle themselves as a steriliser (put some water in the lid and put them in the microwave for the required time) they are available in Mothercare for €20 [/quote:apr9tqar] These sound really good - what brand are they? Are they online? Thanks.
Moet for me Posts: 1841
They are mothercare own brand I don't know if they are online they are definitely in Blanch mothercare and I'm sure in all the others in Ireland too, they really are great if we were going to my parents or dh parents we'd just bring 2 with us and keep sterilising them throughout our time there as we need them a single bottle takes 1and a half minutes to sterilise in the microwave. Totally, totally necessary to change the teats though babies can't suck on them properly from my experience