Sterilisers

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
HELP! Why on earth is there just so much choice for everything when it comes to babies? Could they not just have one steriliser on the market and that's the one you have to buy and that's that!! O:| And don't even get me started on what bottles to choose .... is there really a difference between them all?! Ok, so what one are you all going for, and why? I had intended on getting a microwave one, but the midwife in our antenatal class made a comment about them that she didn't think they were as good, so now I'm all confused. As well, I was reading on the mothercare website about they stay sterile for X amount of hours if unopened ... so if you open them to get one bottle out, does that mean the rest of the bottles are going to get contaminated within a few hours as well?! It's a minefield ... a minefield I tell ya!
zoey Posts: 1574
[quote:ev7hg87n]It's a minefield ... a minefield I tell ya![/quote:ev7hg87n] :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 I don't know the first thing about sterlisers so I'm no help to you at all but I can feel your frustration!!!! Maybe you should try posting this in Mums and Kids and see what they have to say... Good luck!!
Emme Posts: 4735
I got all stressed and panicy when I couldn't find the Avent IQ. Eventually DH asked me why did I want that one when there was a normal Avent one for about 20 odd quid cheaper and I admitted it was because it was more expensive and had IQ in the title so it had to be better. After a cup of tea and a flapjack - and okay okay a slice of cheesecake - sense returned and we got the 'basic' one. Crucially it only does 6 bottles in 8 minutes and the IQ one does 6 bottles in 6!
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Well to give you a bit of help, I had the avent one on my first baby and it was fine until she needed Dr browns bottles and then it was a real challenge to get everything in! So then I bought the tommy tipee microwave one and found it much better just throw everything into it and off it goes, much better IMO!
doolittle Posts: 910
I ve the Lindham one. Can get 6 dr brown bottles in but its supposed to sterelise in 8 mins...my ar*$e....takes about 20 mins....
rady Posts: 919
the best steriliser is good old milton- a cap ful in 2.5 litres of water- sterilised in fifteen mins - change every 24 hrs- no waiting til you have a full load to start the steamsteriliser- i find it great i really do- had the lindam one at the start and hated it so slow- i find that with the milton theres always a sterile bottle available- no waiting . and its so cheap - really regret not going with it from the start or using dr brown bottles straight off
twinkle2 Posts: 188
I agree with rady. I had microwave steriliser with DD, avent one. I thought it was good until i was trying to fit dr brown bottles in it. We would have to put it on several times and then the bottles only stay sterile for so many hours. Once you need to add in bowls and spoons for weaning it gets even more had work. My second baby is due in 10 weeks and i have ordered the Milton own make cold water sterilser. So cheap and so easy. My friend also has this and thats what convinced me. No electricity, its big so i can fitt all the bottles, bowls, breastpump parts etc in it. Then add milton liquid and then after 20min they are all sterlie for 24 hours!!! Now i know milton doesnt smell great but i like a clean smell and to know they are all really clean!
I always remember that my mom used Milton with all of our bottles as babies, didn't realise it was still being used to be honest! :-8 Does it not leave an aftertaste? Do you just leave the bottles in the water until you are ready to use them, or do you leave them out to dry off (or would that only contaminate them?)
twinkle2 Posts: 188
apparantly no after taste and babies just get used to it anyway if thats all they have known. You just leave everything in the big tub of water and take a bottle out as you need it. You dont rinse it off you just add your boiled water and your formula or your expressed breast milk. I really think its going to be easier for us this time around. I mean........milton worked fine on all of us didnt it. Those electric steamers create all this black stuff at the bottom from the elements and you really have to scrub it out every few times to get rid of it...........i remember my friend showing me her one.
Thanks Twinkle2 ... I feel like if they give me a test in the hospital about baby-know-how, I'm going to go down in flames and they won't give me my baby!! :o0 I had seen the "cold water" sterilisers and never copped that it was basically milton ... like you said, sure all of us were reared on it. I suppose only SIL has babies, none of my friends do at the moment, so I had only seen her use a microwave one and didn't even think of the cold water method. To be honest, it actually seems like something I'm going to go for.