Stomach muscle separation?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
Just wondering if anyone experienced this is pregnancy? Is it just a normal thing or something I should check with the doctor/midwife? In the last few weeks I've noticed a slight bulge in the middle of my stomach above my belly button. It seems up happen when I tense my abs. It feels at least 3 fingers width. I do a fair bit of manual handling in work and would out of habit use my stomach muscles when I lift. I've also been doing a fair bit of swimming, about 2to3k a week, all back stroke and a prenatal Pilates class. Is this too much?
gopro Posts: 1801
I can't think of the name if it. the physio mentioned it in the physio antenatal class you should get a referral to the hospital physio. can't remember if unave to wait til after baby for treatment.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if I was freaking myself out unnecessarily. I'll call the midwives today and ask what I should do.
i want one Posts: 2893
i think alot of people get this during pregnancy. you have to be careful after before you start exercising. im going for physio now and she checked mine, the top muscles are 1.5 and the bottom muscles are 2.5 she said some people could have 4. i think its called rectus muscle distention or something like that. no harm to get it checked out. best of luck :wv
Thanks I Want One. I called the midwife and she's going to refer me to a physio. There's a slight dip/ gap below my belly button but above the gap is about 4fingers (just checked). I've got Pilates this evening and my instructor said that it happened to her on a previous pregnancy so I can ask her about it.
i should have said i was quite active during my pregnancy too with pilates and in the pool quite a bit and walking i dont know if it is related to exercising but at least keeping fit will help u for the labour and also i believe for me by actively keeping fit this pregnancy i am less tired now with two small ones to look after than i was when i had DD1. at least you are going to get it checked out and the physio should be able to tell u what to avoid too.
Thanks I Want One. I missed Pilates in the end so couldn't check with the teacher. I went to see the doctor today but he basically poohpooh'd the entire thing. Aparantly if there was any muscle separation I would have a hernia and bowel sticking out. He says it's probably the baby's foot even though it's 4 finger widths's wide and runs from below my boobs to above my belly button O:| In terms of exercise his advice is to cut back if I feel it's affecting it :duh:
I got a call from the hospital physio and she said it sounds like Diastasis Recti. Delighted that she took me seriously. She said that 23 weeks is early to have it but to go along to a maternity class at the hospital and they will talk me through what I should be doing.
thankfully they are taking it seriously and the sooner you get it treated the better. :wv