stop smoking and cravings

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cat woman Posts: 897
hi all !! i have decided i want to give up the smokes this is my first day and getting cravings already , im not on the patches im doing it cold turkey i use the patches before and didnt think they helped, so im just wondering what do you do when you get a craving to keep your mind off it, is there anyone else thinking of giving them or giving them up??
Doll Face Posts: 3721
Play yoville on face book or play nintendo it helps keep the fingers and brain occupied ....its so hard giving up but its worth it you look and feel healthy :o)ll :o)ll
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
The cravings won't last long and the physical craving will be completely gone after three days if you go cold turkey. Anything you feel after 72 hours is psychological. If you use nicotine replacement you're still giving yourself nicotine so will take longer to wean yourself off it. Get up, have a big glass of ice-cold water, eat an orange. That helped me when I stopped smoking. This is a good website.
vonanto Posts: 395
Hey catwoman I went cold turkey in November - I hadnt ever tried to quit before and smoked between 10-20 a day. I'm still off them. I think the most annoying thing was people asking me constantly how I was getting on O:| Mind you after a week I kept telling everyone because I just felt so good about myself. Its true that you get back your sense of taste as well (at least H2B tells me his dinners are always far tastier these days, cheeky thing :o0 :o0 ) I was really fidgety though for the first week - exercised a lot to keep my mind off it (i hate exercise but it stopped me munching) I had friends up for dinner a couple weeks later (they smoke) and could smell ciggies off them as soon as they walked in the door - I have to say it was awful and I was mortified thinking that that was the first impression everyone got of me :-8 :-8 Anyway if you think you can do I believe that you will. Its really hard and you will totally feel like "just having the one", but if you stick it out it is well worth it and you will have such a sense of achievement. Good luck and just pop on here anytime you feel like having one and I'll talk you out of it :wv :wv :wv
SaJa Posts: 4282
I'm dying to give up the fags but I dread the cravings. I gave them up for 6 weeks in Nov 2008 but I cried for the whole 6 weeks. The strangest side effect I've ever had. It is definitely the money side of things that is moving me to give up now and the fact that I want to have another baby and don't want to be smoking. I'm setting myself the date of the 1st of October and I want to have totally given up by then. Hopefully I'll be able to do it.
thanks girls for all the advise, one more thing h2b just got me the alan carr book but it says to smoke while reading it and by the time your finished reading you dont feel like smoking , so what am i ment to do ?nj
SGirl Posts: 2542
I gave up before i got pregnant and am off em about 4 months and i promise u do stop thinking bout them but i still think of myself as a smoker!. There is a smoking thread on the healtha nd fitness forum, you could get involved in that for moral support! GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK PS Nothing worse than [b:13s4hzxe]smug ex smokers[/b:13s4hzxe],,.... they will break your heart with advice
[quote="vonanto":3mxpebnn]Hey catwoman I went cold turkey in November - I hadnt ever tried to quit before and smoked between 10-20 a day. I'm still off them. I think the most annoying thing was people asking me constantly how I was getting on O:| Mind you after a week I kept telling everyone because I just felt so good about myself. Its true that you get back your sense of taste as well (at least H2B tells me his dinners are always far tastier these days, cheeky thing :o0 :o0 ) I was really fidgety though for the first week - exercised a lot to keep my mind off it (i hate exercise but it stopped me munching) I had friends up for dinner a couple weeks later (they smoke) and could smell ciggies off them as soon as they walked in the door - I have to say it was awful and I was mortified thinking that that was the first impression everyone got of me :-8 :-8 Anyway if you think you can do I believe that you will. Its really hard and you will totally feel like "just having the one", but if you stick it out it is well worth it and you will have such a sense of achievement. Good luck and just pop on here anytime you feel like having one and I'll talk you out of it :wv :wv :wv[/quote:3mxpebnn]hi im gonna have a few drinks 2nite and all i can think of is i will wanna smoke O:| where you in this situation and what did you do ?? thanks :thnk
vonanto Posts: 395
Hey there I was in the same situation a couple of days after I quit and I went out and really wanted to smoke, I was really fidgety all night I have to say. Do your friends smoke?? Try not to be outside with them iof they are smoking - I swore that if I got through my first "drinking night" I would buy myself a treat the next day (there was some really expensive make up I wanted) and it felt so good to be able to get it the next da didnt even feel a little guilty :o0 Also what helped and still helps the whole time is picturing myself in my wedding dress smoking or having ciggie burns all over my dress :eek that really kept me going Let me know how you get on I'm sure you'll do great though :wv
[quote="vonanto":21lhoeli]Hey there I was in the same situation a couple of days after I quit and I went out and really wanted to smoke, I was really fidgety all night I have to say. Do your friends smoke?? Try not to be outside with them iof they are smoking - I swore that if I got through my first "drinking night" I would buy myself a treat the next day (there was some really expensive make up I wanted) and it felt so good to be able to get it the next da didnt even feel a little guilty :o0 Also what helped and still helps the whole time is picturing myself in my wedding dress smoking or having ciggie burns all over my dress :eek that really kept me going Let me know how you get on I'm sure you'll do great though :wv[/quote:21lhoeli]H2B smokes so he will be going out for his puffs while im left sitting there on me own, thanks for advise ,i was doing so well the past week and today im craving like mad its so annoying, how long you off the fags yourself ...