Strange Looks?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Topolino Posts: 1659
Does anyone notice people looking at them funny? Strangers in the street I mean. I'm always catching people staring at my bump, mainly women my age or a bit older and men. Most seem to be looking in a kind of disgusted way. It bothers me now and again when I catch someone staring blatantly. It's not like I'm going around in belly tops with my bump hanging out. I mainly wear trousers or nice dresses. My husband says to just be proud and ignore them but it's hard sometimes. Anyone else experiencing this? I don't believe I'm paranoid by the way as even husband has noticed it sometimes.
dovedro Posts: 1295
Hi Topolino Are you sure they're looking at you in a disgusted way? I'm always staring at pregnant people's bumps now out of curiousity as my own is only starting and also to see what people are wearing as I can't find anything nice to wear and I see pregnant people wearing nice clothes all the time!
Yeah, it definitely looks like disgust or ner enough to it. If I pass other pregnant girls in the street we usually smile at each other. It's not usually girls my age, more older women and especially older men. It's quite disconcerting; I often look down just to make sure my skirt hasn't got caught in my knickers or something!
dovedro Posts: 1295
God that's weird....I hope I don't get any strange looks like that when my bumps on full show. Knowing my hormones at the moment I'd be likely to assault anyone who looked at me funny!
marla Posts: 191
My bump is becoming more defined now and I find I catch alot of people staring at it too, not sure if it's in a disgusted way but sometimes it really annoys me. The IT guy at work is a complete knob and when I pass him in the corridor he just stares at my bump, wouldn't mind if he even said hi but he says nothing just stares! O:| Going to get one of those t-shirst that has an arrow pointing up to my face and says "Up here d***head!"!! >:o)
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
I have to say I am one of the people that stare at pregnant women's bumps. Don't ask me why. I am sure it will happen to me when I get my bump.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I find people looking at my bump a bit, I'm not sure if it's in disgust though. It was really funny we were in Lisdoonvarna at the weekend (just for an hour) and the matchmaker festival is on down there. You want to see the way the women were staring at me. In complete disgust :-8 Some even made that tsk tsk tsk noise (iykwim). We reckon it was coz all the old spinsters were jealous and we were ruining the vibe of teh festival. :o0 Topolino if you find someone looking at you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable pat your belly and stick it out. Little fcukers, I'm sure it's that they are jealous.
[quote:1q55jr7n]sometimes it really annoys me. The IT guy at work is a complete knob and when I pass him in the corridor he just stares at my bump, wouldn't mind if he even said hi but he says nothing just stares! Bang Head Going to get one of those t-shirst that has an arrow pointing up to my face and says "Up here d***head!"!! [/quote:1q55jr7n] I'd have to say something to him Marla. Lovin' the t-shirt idea! :o0 [quote:1q55jr7n] Some even made that tsk tsk tsk noise (iykwim). [/quote:1q55jr7n] That's exactly it RocketQueen. Like WTF is their problem? It's so rude, isn't it? [quote:1q55jr7n] Little fcukers, I'm sure it's that they are jealous.[/quote:1q55jr7n] That's what husband says. Don't know about the men though... [quote:1q55jr7n]if you find someone looking at you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable pat your belly and stick it out[/quote:1q55jr7n] I've started staring right back at them, they usually look away very quickly. Will stick it right out from now on!
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Topolino where do you live? I notice I get looks of annoyance when I'm in Dublin city centre because I take up so much space and walk slowly and get in people's way! I live in a small town where people are generally friendly anyway and I get the nicest looks now and big friendly hellos because of the bump - complete strangers wishing me well. I will really miss all this nice attention when it's gone! I've also come across 3 men who obviously found the bump very attractive and were kind of mesmerized by it! Then there was the taximan who told me "ah, there's nothing like the bloom on a pregnant woman"!!! I find most people react positively so I'm surprised by the reactions you're getting!
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
I was in Spain last week and i went from a nearly non existent bump to a big one in a few days (must be the heat!!) and i found everyone was staring at my bump over there, particularly the Spanish. It wasnt in disgust more curiousity, but i heard the Spanish love kids so i put it down to that. We were in a restaurant and the waiter came up with apple sours shots after dinner for myself and DH, i was about to refuse saying i was pregnant when he showed me the bottle and said he was giving me the non alcoholic one cos he knew i was pregnant - that was the first time a stranger made a comment on knowing i was pregnant and i was chuffed !!!!