Strapless dresses

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bridey99 Posts: 550
Sums up my thoughts perfectly. Why oh why do so many women go for strapless dresses when they haven't the neckline, bust line, shoulders or arms to do so? Half-peeled banana is a good description.
CalamityJane Posts: 783
I totally agree. I never wear strapless dresses cause they look awful on me. What amazes me is the amount of brides who go for strapless wedding dresses... Most brides nowadays wear a strapless dress and on Four Weddings, 90% of them have worn the same style of strapless dress.
bridey99 Posts: 550
I never understand it. For me you need seriously sculpted shoulders and arms to carry off a strapless top or dress. So many bridal shops only stock the same strapless style and I have no idea why. It's so unflattering to many women who end up with the four-boob look or flabby underarms. It suits only a small percentage of women.
sugarkk Posts: 1384
I've been to plenty of weddings where the bride wore strapless and I can't remember one who didn't look good, or seeing any of the things that the writer of the article mentioned. Unless all of my friends happen to be one of the lucky 12 people who can wear strapless... I would never wear strapless without a decent bra underneath (i know there has been plenty of threads discussing the various kinds). Most of the photos in the article actually have the same thing in common - these dresses just don't fit well. I'm a size 12 with a pretty small chest (I'd be an A or B cup) and lucky enough to have skinny enough arms and I think a nice toned collarbone and shoulders. So I'll wear my fab strapless dress that has been made-to-measure and fits perfectly. Hopefully no one will be cruel enough to suggest I look like a half-peeled banana.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I always steer clear of strapless tops/dresses. The exception was my wedding dress and this was only because it was tailored to my shape so I got away with it otherwise I would have been pulling it up all day and night. I thinks tops and dresses in shops though are made to a vague idea of a cerian size i.e. 12 and not everyone who is a size 12 will have the same proportions for it. Strapless isn't a womans friend imo.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
If the strapless dress has boning in it then it makes a huge difference too I find! I've had a few from Monsoon & Debenhams that looked well. I had a regular strapless dress from M&S though that had no boning and it just didn't sit right at all!
JustBecause Posts: 3242
[quote="sugarkk":3prxo7u4]I've been to plenty of weddings where the bride wore strapless and I can't remember one who didn't look good, or seeing any of the things that the writer of the article mentioned. Unless all of my friends happen to be one of the lucky 12 people who can wear strapless... I would never wear strapless without a decent bra underneath (i know there has been plenty of threads discussing the various kinds). Most of the photos in the article actually have the same thing in common - these dresses just don't fit well. I'm a size 12 with a pretty small chest (I'd be an A or B cup) and lucky enough to have skinny enough arms and I think a nice toned collarbone and shoulders. So I'll wear my fab strapless dress that has been made-to-measure and fits perfectly. Hopefully no one will be cruel enough to suggest I look like a half-peeled banana.[/quote:3prxo7u4] +1 I'm really excited about my strapless dress, I think it suits me and balances out my broad shoulders nicely and if any of my guests suggest that I look like a half peeled banana they'll get a taste of my toned/muscular arms too >:o)
happieout Posts: 3111
I think it depends on the dress and the fittings. There is a type of dress that flatters every figure - like another poster said, those dresses aren't the rigth size anyway.. I've seen strapless dresses on larger girls and it looked fabulous, but every bride looks radiant on their special day don't they?
bridesmaidzilla Posts: 1859
Is it not the case though with wedding dresses, that they are probably better made than your average strapless dress that you would buy in a high-street shop? Plus your wedding dress should be fitted just for you, so you rule out a lot of the problems that come with strapless dresses? I tend to avoid strapless anyway, I have very sore b****bs due to a medical issue so strapless is actually painful for me to wear.
oaky Posts: 35
I personally think you have to be super-toned to pull off a strapless dress/wedding dress. I can never understand why someone who is overweight would buy a strapless wedding dress, there are so much more flattering types of dresses that would combat spillage over the top and back of the dress. I often wonder if the shop assistants dont offer correct advice but I suppose its your own choice at the end of the day. I actually think a strap on the dress can give it lovely detail too. Just my opinion, dont mean to insult anyone!!