Strep B

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bellabella Posts: 2750
I am not worried about the labour etc (at the mo) BUT one thing that is really upsetting me is the test for strep b, i know it entails a swab of the lady garden but also from what i've read and people i've spoken to they also swab the rectum. I am really upset by this.Oh my god, i am cringing now thinking about it and i wouldn't even have a clue how they take a swab from there. Anyway i am nearly thinking of not going back to the doc for my next appointment as i am so :-8 . i have to honestly say i would start bawling. Does anyone here feel the same. And as if labour isn't bad enough all ready :-8 :-8 :-8 :-8 :-8 :-8
Mrs.slightly bonkers Posts: 3289
go back for your next app with the doc and tell him how worried and upset you are by it.i wouldnt have it done if i was that worried about something, how come they have to do the test,i have four kids and never had it.
Lady Di Posts: 2487
Hi Bellabella - I had Strep B with my first pregnancy and the only swabbed my vageegee. Just the other day I was down with the maternity nurse and she said she wanted to check for it again this time and I did the swab myself in the toilet!! As she said just stick it up and wave it around!! Anyway Bella I have to say when you're in hospital having a baby ALL dignity goes out the window - its just something we have to accept I'm afraid!!
newbe Posts: 276
try not to worry about it and just remember it is a precaution, better they do the test and know. I dont even think they offer it in the North (where i live). However, my sister had it and only found out in her last pregnancy but it meant they were prepared for any hic ups when she went into labour. Hate to say it but your dignity really is left at the hospital door when you go into labour so try not to get hung up on this little hurdle. Good luck
SB they just test in general in the book i have from the hospital it is listed as a standard test of the 3rd trimester. MY friend had a baby last week in mount carmel and they test at 38 weeks she was telling me. THey need to give you anti-biotics if you have it, it's not an std or anything sinister like that. Lady di, i know you are right but ity's the fact that its not as if you are in labour when they are doing it and the pain is distracting you from the shame of it iykwim. :-8
NotHere Posts: 10273
You'll be fine Bella (although I don't envy you, sorry!) just try to go to a happy place and it should only take a few seconds I'd imagine.
[quote="slightly bonkers":3lqrt2p9]go back for your next app with the doc and tell him how worried and upset you are by it[b:3lqrt2p9].i wouldnt have it done if i was that worried about something, how come they have to do the test,[/b:3lqrt2p9]i have four kids and never had it.[/quote:3lqrt2p9] its a risk for the baby thats the point, i'm surprised you didn't have it done becaus eit is a standard test but some docs do it analy (sp) Newbe it's just i would rather have my dignity a bit longer :xxs
Mrs.slightly bonkers Posts: 3289
sorry i knew what the test was for i just never ever heard of anyone i know with kids mentioning it,did they say you would have to have it,i worried myself sick reading books on my first and as im sure you all know its different for everyone.
[quote="Flutterby.":8dndr57c]You'll be fine Bella (although I don't envy you, sorry!) just try to go to a happy place and it should only take a few seconds I'd imagine.[/quote:8dndr57c] Well we will see if you say the same thing in a few weeks when it's your turn :ooh
NotHere Posts: 10273
[quote="bellabella":58ices5h][quote="Flutterby.":58ices5h]You'll be fine Bella (although I don't envy you, sorry!) just try to go to a happy place and it should only take a few seconds I'd imagine.[/quote:58ices5h] Well we will see if you say the same thing in a few weeks when it's your turn :ooh[/quote:58ices5h] Bella, I am living in denial at the moment, it's a lovely place with no pains, no waters breaking etc :o0