stress and pregnancy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
hi ladies, looking for some reassurance. ive had a stressful pregnancy, with major issues with an immediate family member from i was 7 weeks. things have started off again and im finding it very hard to deal with now. my sleeping is now practically non existant and im exhausted. im just resting on my days off and hubby is looking after me very well but im worried this will all affect baby? is it true that stress can bring on early labour?
swissgirl Posts: 2301
I had braxton hicks brought on by stress from work and the doctor put me on bed rest (I was about 22 weeks) there is definitely a connection. Can you get your family to leave you alone for hte duration of the pregnancy? Sorry you are going through this. sg
Dootsay Posts: 958
Hi JJ Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time, can you take a step back from the family for a while? let them know that you're exhausted and if needs be tell them that you have to have more bedrest for your pregnancy, sometimes people forget how fragile we mums-to-be can be and you definitely need your rest, esp if you're not getting any sleep. Hope things get a bit calmer soon, because I know you'll probably worry anyhows.
mariac Posts: 982
hi jiggy jo i think stress affects you more so rather than the baby. i read somewhere before that all the pregnant women who lost their husbands in 9/11 had continued pregnancies and delivered their babies fine. i think if you have all this built up stress - it might result in a stressful labour etc would you not consider a bit of time about and go to Yoga Classes or a weekend away in peace and quiet. stress is completely negative energy. can someone else sort whats going on in your family? mind yourself :wv
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
thanks for the replies girls, been busy with work and not logged on until now. extended family all of the opinion that i should be stepping back, which i am, but as the oldest child who has always carried the burden its very hard to change! hubby has laid down the law about contacting me so im doing the calling when i feel up to it now. cant do yoga because of damaged muscle in my groin but i ordered my gentlebirth CDs this am so hopefully that will help with sleep. im getting lots of movement so thats always reassuring :lvs