Stuffed up Nose ...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsRugby Posts: 1532
Is there anything i can take to help relieve this. I dont have a cold or anything its just very stuffy and blocked up and at night its hard to go to sleep because of it. I read its something to do with mucus membranes or something opening up because of the pregnancy. My nose is also a bit bloody but nothing too serious. Cheers :thnk
aurora Posts: 1629
Maybe you could try the olbas oil? might help a little if you could inhale it in some steam.
raspberry ripple Posts: 1809
I've had this since about 30 weeks and it's driving me crazy too. I tried Carvol before bed (no good) and also nose strips to keep passages open at night but they don't really work either. It makes me snore some nights :-8 DH is an angel about it but it drives me crazy...I actually woke myself up last night snoring :zzzz: O:| . Consultant suggested the carvol and said it's something that happens some people but will go away after baby is born. The only thing that helped really was sleeping propped up on a few pillows but I sleep normally on one thin pillow cause I had whiplash a few years ago and my neck gets sore so that's a no-no for me too :o( . Just realising I am not being much help here but maybe some of these things might work better for you than me?
Spoilt Princess Posts: 141
That happened to me when I was 5 weeks pregnant. My doctor recommended using steri mars (it's a nasal spray that's just saline solution) - available over the counter in any chemist and safe to use on newborn babies so safe to use in pregnancy aso. HTH
Thanks Girls, my mother told me to try the olbas oil there asdwell so will give it a go and maybe get steri mars aswell. What is carvol by the way ? I have tried those nasal strips but found them useless. I am constantly blowing my nose, surely there cant be that much up there! but god its never ending :o0
papillon Posts: 1305
I have this problem too and it results in me breathing through my mouth, getting dry mouth, drinking water to get rid of dry mouth and going to loo all the time! I use a Vicks inhaler but It doesn't really do much to be honest.
raspberry ripple Posts: 1809
Carvol (I think it might be Karvol actually) is a decongestant like Vicks that is recommended for babies. You can split capsules and put them in hot water for inhaling vapour, or you can squeeze contents onto tissue/pillow.
[quote="nickname":2ybrrk6u]Carvol (I think it might be Karvol actually) is a decongestant like Vicks that is recommended for babies. You can split capsules and put them in hot water for inhaling vapour, or you can squeeze contents onto tissue/pillow.[/quote:2ybrrk6u] aaah thanks, never heard of it - am going to head into chemist with my list ! Thanks girls :thnk
Little Miss Hopeful Posts: 1193
oh god this is me - and i have yucky bloody snots too! My miracle remedy is to get a little bit of vaseline and line each nostril with it every night - it stops the snots clinging on - oh god that sounds so disgusting and tmi but it honesty does work!
babychino Posts: 634
Also having this the last few days!!! I got Olbas oil tissues in Boots, finding them good & handier the bottle of Olbas. Using cotton buds & vaseline to remove any dry blood in the mornings. My ears are quite stuffy too, so warm olive oil for that. I thought I was getting a flu or cold but GP said it was all part & parcel of pregnancy :)