Stupid F*&%&n Oil Company

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kittenheart Posts: 1488
Oh girls I'm fit to scream here, (this is long) We changed banks last year and I left the other account in our old bank still open with a few euro's in it as you'd all our bills and stuff come out of the new account and I just wanted to have someplace where we could leave a few euro and not worry about it iykwim. Well I did everything, transferred everything over, mortgage, car insurance, h2b's van payments etc, and the monthly direct debit for the heating oil. In the meantime I wasn't happy with the service of the oil company so we changed to a new company. So I cancelled the old company's standing order and set up a new one with the new company. Grand. Or so I thought. I got a statement in the post yesterday from the old bank account and it said that we were over 1000 overdrawn. :eek :eek :eek :eek . Oh girls I nearly had a heart attack as money is tight enough as it is. So not only have we been paying our monthly oil from our new account since last August, the oil company have been taking the same amount out of our old account every month since, even though I changed oil companies in March and that was because of crap like this again, they were sending me nasty letters saying we owed such an amount and I couldn't understand it because I checked the account and the money was going out every month to them and it turned out that it was going into the bank account of their other branch so they had no record of it >:o( O:| >:o( O:| >:o( O:| . Girls I have to sort all this mess out today and I don't even know where to start. I have to go to my new bank today and get a proper printout of all the payments made to them since last August and then I have to ring them and I don't know what I'm going to say to them. H2B says they'll have to give me a cheque or something but would it be possible that they would say "oh we'll just take it off your next fill" which isn't possible cos we're not with them anymore. Any advice, I'm worn out over it
Elliecat Posts: 2725
To be honest if you cancelled your standing order with your bank then its thier fault rather than the oil company, although the oil company should have picked up on the fact they were getting money for nothing. Get on to the bank and get your statement and any written proof you cancelled the SO and see what they have to say first - also make sure that they refund you any charges you may have incurred by going overdrawn. As for the Oil company, don't take any sh*t from them either, demand a repayment in full as early as possible - they can't refuse to pay you and take it off the next bill, so just stick to your guns.
sun flowers Posts: 3421
this always happens... it has happend twice to me and to some of the girls..... where you cancel a standing order or direct debit and it still magically comes out of the account the following month.... I'm not sure who is to blame.... but basically get on to the bank ask for a copy of your cancellation... you did cancel it in writing....... you have to cancel these things in writing to the bank and to be on the safe side one to the company in question.
bride. Posts: 3014
With standing orders you have to cancel with both places as far as i know, the bank and the company because they need to cancel it from their end. With a direct debit you can cancel it at your end and that's it then. You poor thing, I'm sure it will work out. Friday 13th O:|
Ya but the thing thats annoying me is that for more than 6 months the first oil company were taking the same amount out of 2 different bank accounts O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:|
sun flowers Posts: 3421
[quote="xmaslove":3ms1m79p]Ya but the thing thats annoying me is that for more than 6 months the first oil company were taking the same amount out of 2 different bank accounts O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:|[/quote:3ms1m79p] well they will if they get away with it....... lets be honest....... did you get on to the company and what is the plan of action in getting back your money....
clucky Posts: 26471
[quote="xmaslove":30zsj9d8]Ya but the thing thats annoying me is that for more than 6 months the first oil company were taking the same amount out of 2 different bank accounts O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:|[/quote:30zsj9d8] but hang on the bank allowed the standing order to continue going out even though there werent funds there to meet it and you had no overdraft facility in place? thats a bank error get onto the bank immediately and get signed proof you cancelled the standing order
Oh we had an overdraft facility in place but still, we've been charged interest on it now that we shouldn't have been. When I transferred over all the things to the new account I got a form from the oil company and filled in the details of the new bank with them. I told them I was transferring to another bank they assured me everything was ok but I should have known they sent me nasty letters before saying I owed a certain amount and I couldn't understand it and it turned out the money was going to their other office in Cork. I also told the old bank to cancel the standing order. To be honest I can't remember if I signed something, I think I did but I can't honestly remember this minute. I'm heading down to the bank in about half an hour to see what the story is to get all my facts before I ring the oil company. And then to top it all off I was meant to pay the phone bill last week but my granny died and I forgot, and they cut off the phone yesterday, no letter nothing O:| O:| O:| O:|
Hi girls, Well got everything sorted, they are refunding me the money, posting out a cheque today, I got all the things that shouldn't have been there cancelled and got my phone reconnected so I'm ok again I can breathe, Thanks for the advice girls I was very low this morning. :thnk :thnk
Elliecat Posts: 2725
xmaslove, glad you got things sorted, sorry to hear about your granny. Its a lesson I learned recently too - keep a copy of absolutely every official document you sign until you know its sorted correctly.