Stupid Question? Sorry if it's been asked before!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Idina Posts: 1289
You know the way pregnant women can't use certain oils (in a spa etc) is it the same with shampoo's and shower gels? Are there certain oils that may in them that I have to be aware of? thanks
breeze Posts: 1175
ive never heard that, would be great if some one knew this. What are the oils you are supposed to stay away from. Do you mean aromatheraphy oils, i think i heard one of my frinds sayong somethink like that, though not sure :-8
Christmas B Posts: 6191
Humm..... never heard about that before!!
Idina Posts: 1289
I just presumed when you can't use certain aromotherapy oils can you use the shower gels if they contain them and what oils are they???
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Id say the oils in the gels are so diluted that they dont count, not like if you used the oils directly on your skin they would be much more concentrated.
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
I heard before that you can't apply lavender to the skin, yet I read somewhere recently that lavender baths help you relax!? Some clarification on this whole topic would be good if anyone knows about this!
Me Julia Posts: 1352
hi there yeah there are 18-20 essential oils that you should stay away from, things like clary sage, black pepper.......... In some books you will see to stay away from lavender but if it is very small quantity and blended with other oils it is ok. Re- Shower gels.............they tend to contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate and this is what causes them to foam.......its a surfactant. Now this can be very harsh on the skin and strip the skin of its natural protectant.......leaving it quite sensitive. People with eczema should avoid this. When pregnant your skin can become more sensitive and then using an ingredient like this can heighten it even more. Have a look on your shower gels at home. Also they tend to contain Parabens...........these are preservatives........chemicals which pregnant women may want to avoid also. I train therapists and this is some of what we cover. Try Mama Mio products, they are FDA approved for pregnancy and do shower gels, tummy rub stretch mark oils and body creams. They only use 'SAFE' essential oils. I know buff day spa in dublin use them and there is a shop in cork called beautiful bump that have them as well.