Style of Bridesmaid dresses - how much should it complement!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pluto Posts: 3893
Hi everyone, On Saturday myself and my 2 bridesmaids are starting the search for their dresses. Not only do I not have any clue what colour I want, I'm not sure of the style either. People are telling me that it needs complement my own dress. My dress is a sweetheart line, with a lot of beading on the bodice and sild taffida skirt. I'm not sure what would be a good style bridesmaid dress for this. Does anyone have any tips for me??!!
BlushingB Posts: 1634
I don't think it needs to compliment your dress. I had my bridesmaid dress picked out before my own and would never even have considered if one looked good beside the other. The only concern would be the colour, but unless you're picking out creme/white/ivory shades of bridesmaid dress, I'm sure that won't be a problem. Just get something that you and your bridesmaid are happy with, never mind what other 'helpful' advice people offer you.
girlymum Posts: 696
I don't think that it really matters. Obviously, if there is a particuar colour on your dress like a ribbon or something you might want it that to tie in, but otherwise just go for whatever suits your bms.
sas Posts: 160
I dont think it matters either. I bought my bmaid dresses before my own dress, bridal shops were horified when I told them this........ Just make sure they are completely not in contrast with your dress....
Luso Posts: 271
I think by compliment they usually mean the shape. I wore my one (any excuse!!) when the bridesmaids were trying on different ones. I have a fishtail skirt on mine so big skirts on the b'maids looked out of place. Think that's all you really need to concern yourself with as regards the shape.