Menu

Suggestions for weekend away

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

beller Posts: 22
It our first anniversary in March and we're thinking about going away for a relaxing weekend, last chance to get away for baby arrives! Anyway I'll be nearly 7 months pregs by then and not sure wheres a good choice. We are looking for something relaxing but not a spa, somewhere perhaps with nice walks and somewhere that I won't be bored if I can't drink so a city centre is prob not the best option! Anyone any suggestions?
papillon Posts: 1305
Can you let us know where you're based and how far ye'd be willing to drive? (I can think of some fab but very remote places)
beller Posts: 22
oh yeh that would be handy eh! We're based in Dublin and don't drive (just to make it that bit easier!) Don't mind approx 3 hr train journey.
papillon Posts: 1305
You could take the train down to Thomastown, County Kilkenny (it's on the Dublin Waterford train Route) and stay in Mount Juliet. the grounds there are amazing, so tranquil. And they have offers there at the moment that are pretty good. Another very tempting place in my book is Kellys hotel in Rosslare, County Wexford. Again you can get the train down to Rosslare from Dublin (beautiful coastal journey, make sure to sit on the left hand side!) It's not cheap but the food is amazing (usually you get breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea (!!) and dinner and there are lovely long walks to be had on the beach to work it off. And I know you said you're not into spas but the spa there is my favourite in the country.
serenity Posts: 3675
Another fab place is the Fota Island Resort... Lots of nice walks there and the Arboretum / Park is next door.... You can get the train to Cork and then either take the local train to Fota (there is a stop there) or get a taxi (about 20 minutes) - the hotel is absolutely fab.. Really relaxing... Food is great and the spa is fab as it has a swimming pool which would be nice with you 7 months pregnant... There is a great clubhouse too where you can get really nice food... I love this place I have to say... Otherwise, there is always Killarney - lots of nice hotels there and all within walking distance of the train station. Best of luck and enjoy your break !! xx
mrsbrowneyedgirl28 Posts: 820
Lyrath outside Kilkenny is a nice spot. it does have a spa if you changed your mind! 10 mins outside Kilkenny for some shopping and nice lunches/ dinner out. 2 restaurants in the hotel too :wv
John Walsh Guitar
babychino Posts: 634
Castle Durrow in Laois is fabulous, so relaxing. Its about 1 and a half hours drive from Dublin. Really nice for walks in the grounds and nearby. The food in the restaurant is gorgeous.
kinder Posts: 504
Carton House or Brooklodge, not too far from you but both fab
nini83 Posts: 1917
we are just back from carton house we spent new years there would highly recommend it and i am 7 months now , imo it has everything not far from dub at all beautiful grounds and surroundings good food and entertainment spotless rooms and vey comfy / modern we really enjoyed it