Sunbeds

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

laserbride Posts: 104
I've decided to have a few sunbed sessions before my wedding. Hate the look of fake tan and just want to take the white glow off me. How long before the wedding should I start? I'm going to start slowly, a couple of minutes per session, and go from there. Any sunbed users out there? I'm aware of the dangers.
nuns Posts: 12
I would start at least 4 months in advance of your wedding the earlier the better, be really carefull about some of the newer lie down sunbeds, I went on one for 10 mins during the summer and got sun stroke and you can spend 20 mins on that so god knows where i would have ended up if i did any longer than 10 min >:o(
Thanks. I'm starting on the stand up ones next week, 2 mins for my first few sessions.
Jawl Posts: 8881
Hi Laser Bride, I am having a winter wedding next year, and do not plan on having to fanny about in the cold/bad weather with tans, and worrying about it streaking, getting on the dress etc. I have the sort of skin that tans very easily, so a few sunbeds will have it up in no time. I'm not worried either about the effects as a few sessions before my wedding is hardly excessive prolonged use of sunbeds. If you are going to a reputable salon, they will be able to guide you as to how long you stay on judging by your skin type. And they should keep an eye on you, to make sure you aren't over exposed to it etc. You will be fine! :wv
Thanks Jawl. I tan quite easily too so a couple of short sessions a week should do me. All fake tans look fake in my opinion, no matter how light or well applied they are. I'm a fake tan wear usually but just couldn't do it for my wedding. I used the sunbed years ago so hopefully the same place I went to is still open as I never had problems there.
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
I did a couple of sunbed sessions before my wedding. We were flying to Italy on the Sun and the wedding was Fri so fake tan wasn't really an option. Did a session about every week to 10 days starting about 2 months before the wedding. Prob did 6 or 7 in total as didn't go in the week or 2 before wedding as literally didn't have time. I did the stand up one as they're better to tan underarms etc especially for wedding dress, you don't want big white patches along arms etc! start off with a few mins and keep an eye on your skin after to see how it reacted. also ask in sunbed place how strong their bulbs are. Where I went their bulbs are strong and they are v strict about the length people can go on. Start with 3 mins and you have to a few of them before you can go to 4 or 5. They also see how fast you tan and use that to decide how many mins you can do each session as well
skitchums Posts: 1283
I'm the same, will probably do a session before we go away next year so thanks for starting this thread :thnk
Piggle Posts: 1770
I haven't been on sunbeds in years, but will definately do it for your wedding because fake tan is just too fake looking on me, and aswell as that we will be going on honeymoon straight after and I really don't want to ruin that by burning too easily! Imagine the pics :o0 :o0
Cairn Posts: 313
Fake tan is definitely not an option for me. I hate the stuff. I put on st tropez Friday for a night out and I can still smell it... yuck. My skin tans easily so I will do a few sunbeds before the wedding if we don't get proper weather during the summer. Good tip Sorrento Wife about the stand up ones. My gym has one of these so I might try it out.
Rogue User Posts: 6101
I am thinking of going the sunbed route too. hate fake tan, am worried about sunbeds but figure its once in my life its not going to kill me. The thing that really scares me though is that kind of wrinkly look that having a real tan can give? Does anyone know what I mean? Will a few months on sunbeds make my skin visibly age straight away? I am aware that obviously it will have a negative affect for the future but will I notice it after the few weeks/ months on the beds? This sounds a bit silly but I am hoping someone knows what I am talking about :-8