Sunshine Weddings Dublin - Reviews/Opinions please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsshorty Posts: 67
Has anyone used or know anybody thats used Sunshine Weddings in North Circular Road in Dublin? They make custom dresses really cheaply but I cant find any reviews online. Their prices seem far too good to be true. I sent them an email with a photo of a dress I liked that I'd found online and they've quoted me €400 to make it for me. They have a showroom in Dublin where I can choose materials and they will take my measurements and they have a factory in China which will make it for me. I havent been able to find any reviews for them, but for that price Im thinking it might be worth paying that amount and still having a couple of hundred left in my budget for alterations if its not exactly what I had imagined. Has anybody any suggestions/advice? Am I mad for considering this?
San15 Posts: 26
Your not mad for considering this, I personally think it's mental to spend thousands on a dress I'm going to wear for 12hours, I much rather spend it on shoes!!! :-) I have come across this place and like you couldn't find any reviews but my sister inlaw did buy her dress directly off one of the Chinese sites for less than 200 quid. It took about 3 months to arrive and she did have to do abit of chasing on it but the dress was actually pretty fantastic. She had to get the corset reboned by a seamstress as the ones in it were pretty crap but that was the only fault. There is a bridal shop in carlow that does dresses for 400-600 you try on a sample and yours will ordered and ready in 4-6 weeks so I assume thats a similar set up but I've seen great reviews about this shop. I'm going to try get an appointment there myself next week for a look :-)
Ashweddingnovice Posts: 25
Hi girls,I have gotten my briesmaids dresses here. I was in a bit of a predicament as I have 4 bridesmaids and there sizes are opposite ends of the spectrum so I couldn't find a shop that would cater for all the sizes I needed. Well I did find a bridal shop that did it but they were 360.00 for the dress and an extra 80.00 for each dress over size 18 so it made it a very expensive dress that I knew would never be worn again. So I met with the girl in the shop and brought one bridesmaid with me who tried on all styles. We chose one and had them ordered. I went to pick them up 2 weeks ago and there were a few hiccups but I shall explain them here now: 1) I am having 4 dresses all in different pastel colours. I picked 2 of the colours when i was in the shop and the other 2 colours using a pallet from their FB page when I gave over all the girls sizes. When they arrived the two I had picked from the site were completly the wrong colour. The girl apologised as she was using a different pallet and she has now re-ordered the correct colours. 2) The dresses that did arrive I have brought home and 3 of the girls are all between size 6-10 so they could try them on and loved them. They sat very well. Lovely material and nice hidden zip up the back. They flow well and perfect size - however - the stitching quality isn't perfect but at €100.00 a dress you can't go wrong and the girls may need small alterations anyway so the stitching which is perfectly functional but a little messy in corners will just need a touch up. I would say though that I was a little embarrassed when the girls commented on the stitching but they love the dresses and the ones in correct colour. For my wedding dress I went to a bridal shop and picked a new dress and I am happy I did as I am bursting with excitment to wear it on the day so happy to save the money somewhere else. Hope you found this helpful! Thanks Ashley
San15 Posts: 26
Also I just seen on Facebook there's a massive wedding dress sale in the ballymount corporate estate Dublin 12 on the 29th of November, prices capped at €600. They look stunning and there are dresses with original prices of over 2000 going for 600. I'd say it would definitely be worth having a look!
mrsshorty Posts: 67
Thank you for your replies San15 and Ashwedding novice, its nice to hear that Im not totally mad for considering this! Ashwedding novice, can I ask you what was the delivery time from ordering the dresses to when they arrived and did you have to pay the balance after you recieved them? Im hoping that I can see the dress first before paying the balance, in case it really is bad. And also, you say the stitching on the dresses was messy...was it just superficial, like loose thread ends that could be cut off, or was the stitching in danger of tearing apart at the seams?
Ashweddingnovice Posts: 25
Hi Mrs shorty - the dresses took about 6-8weeks to arrive. I would give yourself enough time as mine first arrived in the incorrect colour. They were just looking at different swatch colours I was. I paid half up front. And the remaining when I picked them up. You have to pay in cash as they don't have a card machine but they are a bargain for what they are! And they flow very nicely! Hope this helps!!
niamhoc87 Posts: 4
I ordered my wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses from Sunshine Weddings and they were brilliant to deal with. I tried on the sample bridal gowns and found "the one". The lady took my measurements and ordered my dress. I hadn't planned on ordering my bridesmaid dresses from them but I had one of my bridesmaids with me on the day, she tried on all the sample dresses and we all agreed on one beautiful dress. she took the measurements of my bridesmaid, and I sent on the measurements of my other 2 bridesmaids and the dresses were ordered immediately. I only have a few more weeks to wait for my dresses to be available for collection but so far, I have to say they have been a pleasure to deal with.
niamhoc87 Posts: 4
[u:bwenxx0v][b:bwenxx0v]UPDATE[/b:bwenxx0v][/u:bwenxx0v] Well ladies my dresses arrived (my wedding dress and 3 bridesmaid dresses) NONE OF THEM FIT!!! I am so upset and cross with the shop. I went up to Dublin to collect my dresses, I live in Limerick and all my bridesmaids are in Limerick also. None of my bridesmaids were able to come to Dublin with me so I went and collected them myself. When I got there, I tried on my wedding dress and I knew immediately it didn't fit, the girl in the shop told me they made the dresses slightly bigger. I wasn't exactly happy about that but I said ok that I would get it altered in Limerick. I looked at the bridesmaids dresses and they looked ok, quality seemed very good and the finish was beautiful. As soon as I got them home, my bridesmaids arrived, and they each tried on their dresses. None of them fit. The measurments were all wrong. And what really baffled me was the measurements that were taken in the shop on my bridesmaid that came with me on the first day, were the worst of all, the dresses wouldn't close on any of the girls, and the zips themselves were such bad quality, that one ended up splitting. My bridesmaids are all slim girls, 2 size 8's and 1 size 10. I am a size 6 and the size 8 dresses were tight on me when I tried them on. I rang the store and told them exactly what happened. I was told to come back to the store and get the alterations done. I explained that I lived in Limerick and I wasn't prepared to travel all the way to Dublin again. So I was told to post them with he girls measurements and they would measure the dresses again and do the alterations. I have refused to post my dresses anywhere. Why should I trust them to alter the dresses when they already had the measurements and didn't make them to the measurements in the first place. Ladies, I know they are cheap for wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses, but in my opinion, pay the extra for a better shop, you cant put a price on peace of mind. I am sorry I didn't go somewhere else for my dress.
Clare Neill Posts: 1
I had a similar terrible experience with this shop, Sunshine weddings in Dublin. I did get my wedding dress there which was fine but the 4 bridesmaids dresses came in late - a week before wedding, in two separate batches, the sizes are all off, cost me over €200 to adjust and the stress of having to do this 4 times with different bridesmaids a week before wedding has undoubtedly been the worst part of my wedding planning. They don't tell you they are not made to measure in fact they make you bring in your bridesmaids to be measured and then they ignore those measurements and tell you when you go to collect them they have a 10% discount with their seamstress. Do yourself a favour and go somewhere you can trust. Quality not good either I didn't mind originally as they were €100 each but now has so far cost me €620 and several hours in getting them fixed. Would NEVER go there again.