Superstitions

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

adelz Posts: 3088
Hi everybody, Im wondering what you all think of old superstitions??? My best friend has a friend whos baby is getting too big for things like moses basket etc etc, so she asked me would I like them. So I said god that would be super, but when I told my mam she nearly hit the roof!! :-8 She said that its well and good taking them but I couldn't under any circumstances buy or have anything in our house until baby is born! O:| Now I told her, Im not into all that, and after 20 wks Id be happy buying items for babs and getting room ready etc etc. But she told me I couldn't and I couldn't even get the stuff and have them in my attic, that I should have nothing done even in babs room, and just do it when baby comes!! Is everybody else like this??? Would love to hear from you on this cuz she has my head wrecked :wv
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
I'm not like this at all. I've been stockpiling stuff ever since my "big" scan at 21 weeks. I've nearly everything bought now. If things go "wrong" I've have alot more on my mind than the fact I have a moses basket in my boxroom. Take the stuff if you want to (but maybe don't tell your Mam, if it'll stress her out!)
ciaraella Posts: 5323
+ 1 to everything mysteriousmise said, i'm not superstitious and after our 21 week scan we started buying bits and pieces. There's loads of advantages to it, *) Spreading the cost *) I feel very relaxed knowing that we have all our bits and pieces in our house ready to go *) When baby arrives DH won't have to frantically run around gathering stuff and outting furniture together, this would be so stressful for him and i'd rather he spend those first few hours with me in the hospital rather than running home to flat pack a wardrobe and race to the shops to buy babygros. Your mam probably means well but lots of people get the nursery ready in advance and at the end of the day you have to do what's right for you. Personally if our stuff was sitting in other people's houses or if we hadn't bought any of it i'd be climbing the walls panicking about not being organised for baby. And as MM said if something were to go wrong (god forbid) the lack of a moses basket in the house isn't going to make me feel any better about it.
See that's how I feel, I love to be organised and know all is got and done before babs would come. Also the spreading the cost, is so important to me as dh is outta work and I was thinking if we got one thing every so often we'd be well able to handle it. Then I didn't know what to think when my mam said it to me. Now I wouldn't buy anything major until have the 20wk scan, but I cant wait to buy just one thing after our 12 wks one (which I think could be nearer 15wks in our hos) just as a little mile stone reached >:o)
babsdel i think you're right, buying one little thing as a celebration at twelve weeks is no harm, and spreading the cost and buying stuff when it's on offer makes perfect sense. Some people would have you on tenterhooks for the whole pregnancy. At the beginning everyone was driving me mad saying touch wood after every little thing! The way i see it i'm being optimistic and assuming that everything will be perfect. If it's not then we'll cross that bridge if we come to it, this is such a wonderful time and something to celebrate so in my book yourself and your DH should enjoy every minute of it and don't think about the worst cause it may never happen!
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
[quote="ciaraella":vytsha2u]....At the beginning everyone was driving me mad saying touch wood after every little thing!...![/quote:vytsha2u] I'm actually a devil for this myself! I'm constantly "I hope" and "Touch Wood" and "please God". Hasn't stopped me from going mad with the buying, mind! Like Ciaraella says though, enjoy it! It's *fun* buying fluffy things for babies.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
I wouldn't be waiting for your Mam's "permission" to be gathering stuff! Load of nonsense. Some people are very funny about that sort of thing. As if you are going to have the time and the energy to be getting stuff when you are recovering from childbirth! That's just nuts. If you are being offered stuff that will save you money, take it with both hands! And if you want to buy stuff after your 20 week scan, go for it. It's only sensible to try and spread the cost. A few white lies won't hurt your Mam. I know she means well, but it's really not helpful to react like that. Hide it away and tell her you're picking stuff up from your friends and she's minding your new stuff as well.......
[quote="mysteriousmise":4l1xgiil] I'm actually a devil for this myself! I'm constantly "I hope" and "Touch Wood" and "please God". [/quote:4l1xgiil] I did used to do it in the first couple of weeks and i think i annoyed myself so much that i couldn't bear hearing it anymore :o0 Buying baby stuff is one of the best things in the world, and it brings less guilt than shopping for myself so it's a win win!
Ah thanks all :xox its so good to know that Im not the only one who thinks like its ok! Yeah I think your right a few white lies here and there shouldn't be too bad :innocent: I cant wait til we get to our 12 wk mark as I just cant wait to buy that first item, my dh and I are going away for a few days and Ill be 13 wks so I think if I can wait I might buy something nice when were away! Do it together. Thanks girls :wv
Daff Posts: 11644
on DD1 I bought our travel system at 6 weeks - I'd give your mum a heart attack :o0 it was on sale and we got a brilliatn price for it so I was glad I got it.