Surprise Baby

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mel79 Posts: 57
When people say the baby/pregnancy was a suprise what do you mean? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Does it mean contraception failed? If you DTD without contraception then does it not make sense that you [i:3f8ikg0j]may [/i:3f8ikg0j] conceive and therefore you'd be conscious of it? I'm new to this section. Not sure if i want to get pregnant yet so want to avoid the [i:3f8ikg0j]surprise[/i:3f8ikg0j].
Milis in disguise Posts: 727
If someone told me they had a surprise pregnancy I would assume they meant accident. If you're not using contraception, and you are having sex, then I don't think a pregnancy can be considered a surprise!!!
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
i suppose it means it wasn't planned. i am kinda having a surprise baby! well we were on holidays and weren't using contraception for the first time, though feck it we'll go for it and lo and behold to my shock i got pregnant. i thought it would take months/years! i tell people it was a shock rather than a surprise !
Woodstock Posts: 1565
To me, a surprise pregnancy means unplanned, however a surprise baby is different! That's when you decide not to find out the gender and you don't know if you're having a boy or a girl until birth!
Emme Posts: 4735
I've often been described as a pleasant surprise - big gap between me and siblings. TBH I don't like to think about it - being found in the cabbage patch will do me fine - but I would assume it's unplanned!
zoesmama Posts: 2774
i would say surprise = unplanned too. with DS he was unplanned. we were only married a short time and i had come off the Pill (not to ttc). we both hated using condoms all the time so we dtd a few times without protection when we thought it would be at "safe" times in my cycle and used protection the rest of the time - shows how much i knew about my cycle back then :o0 i didn't want a baby 'til after we were married and had been on the Pill the whole time before we were married. just as well too as we got pregnant the 1st cycle without the Pill :eek
MammyC Posts: 3621
My little one was a surprise! I was off the pill the month before not to TCC and we had a slip up one evening, well we were talking and realised that it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world so for the rest of the month we said we would keep trying and see what happens. Well nothing happened. Next month we were back on contraception and had just one slip at a time where I really shouldnt have gotten pregnant in the cycle. So I presumed I was ok and didnt think about it at all as because of the previous month nothing had happened I assumed it would take us months to get my cycle back to normal before anything happened. So when I found out I was pregnant, it was a huge shock!! Before this happened to me I would have said how can you have accident and then be surprised ny a little baby!!! well now I know!!! :o0 Still though I cant wait for this little one to arrive and I think whats ment to be happen no matter what you do.