Swine Flu in Office

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Daff Posts: 11644
The guy who sits behind me has just come in saying that his 18 month daughter has suspected Swine Flu. She was in the hospital last night and was sent home to be isolated. He came in this morning for an hour, but hasn’t really been around me, just around the office. I called my Dad who is head of the Pandemic Committee in his company (large organization who already has one employee died from it) and he said not to worry. That just not to use anything like phone, keyboard of this guy for 24 hours and that I should be OK. Work are worried and have offered me to go home, but I’ve said it’s ok. I had the swine flu vaccine three weeks ago, but still waiting to see if I need second shot (had Pandemrix, spelling!) Just wondering what you would do?
Busy Mom Posts: 2910
if they've offered you to leave i'd go
Daff Posts: 11644
I'm just waiting for the doctor to call back. He's actually staying here now, but has been moved to a different office and he's avoiding me. I told him not to worry as it's direct contact that's needed. If the doctor is in any doubt i think i'll go. Thanks for the reply.
Wife09 Posts: 873
If you havent got the vaccine I would leave work. I got the vaccine and was told to keep away from anyone who has swine flu or has been around swine flu for at least two weeks after the shot.
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
Honestly I would try not to worry too much, my childminder had it and so has my DD last week and I never got it ! Haven't had the jab yet either, you really do need direct direct contact and even then may not get it ! Fingers x
Ivy F Posts: 2023
I can only speak from my experience. I posted 3 weeks ago to say that three people in my small office were on sick leave with suspected H1N1 (most doctors aren't testing here, unless you're pregnant, etc). I was seriously worried, as I'm not allowed to have the vaccine yet. I spoke with my OB and boss, & both told me to keep working but try to keep my distance from anyone who looked like they had symptoms. Since then, however, NO-ONE else has been sick, touch wood. And this is an office in which bugs normally spread like wildfire!!! It has made me question how contagious this 'flu [b:ymzx4bx3]really[/b:ymzx4bx3] is, TBH, although I'm still very careful to stay away from anyone coughing/sneezing on the bus, etc, & will definitely get the vaccine. One of the nurses in my Granddad's day-care had to leave work with confirmed H1N1 during the summer. None of the elderly people there have since contracted it. Really surprising.
blondiechick Posts: 1641
HSE has said that pregnant women who got pandemrix are immune with 1 shot and don't need to go back for a 2nd shot. Still, saying that, I would be avoiding that guy totally! There is a guy working with me who is coughing up a lung and sneezing all morning too. I was meant to go to a meeting with him but I cancelled...I said something else came up. No way am I exposing myself to anything, even though like you I got Pandemrix 3 weeks ago! I'd go home if I were you....
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
I agree with IVY F it appears to be pretty hard to catch, I've been exposed to three different people with it and not once have I got it. First time was the girl beside me in work who had been using my keyboard all that morning Second was my CM and third was my 15 month old DD Two of my friends have had it and neither of them gave it to anyone in their office and both work in very open plan environments. Elderly people are pretty unlikely to get it at all because they seem to have a natural immunity to it, prob because it has in all likelihood been around before in some form or other Just try to keep ur distance from him but in the end of all there is no guarantee he will even get it himself I didn't !!! Try not to worry too much hun u have been vaccinated to so ur extremely unlikely to get it