Menu

Swine Flu Jab & a midwifes opinion

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lilygrace Posts: 195
I unfortunately was in hospital yesterday with dehydration due to MS and got talking to the midwife who was looking after me about the swine flu jab. And interestingly, after saying that they have been told not to have an opinion on it, she said that "off the record" she wont be getting it, nor will the rest of her family. She believed it was too new, to consider as yet. I then asked her if she was pregnant would she get it and she said if she had a healthy diet and lifestyle and wasnt a "high risk" pregnancy then she would hold the same view. In other words she wouldnt get it!!!! Thought it was really interesting to hear the [b:3ac3anu7]actual[/b:3ac3anu7] view of the professional. Just thought Id share... to hear other opinions
Daff Posts: 11644
I think they're just as torn as we are. Saying that I've a midwife friend who wants to start ttc soon and is getting the jab before so she's covered. She didn't even think of getting it last year. TBH there's no harm in getting it but so much harm in not getting it. I agree last year that it was a new jab and very risky (even though I did get it while pregnant) but this year its the same jab that's been around decades and millions of pregnant women have gotten it and there's been nothing shown with it. I think a lot of people confuse the two jabs.
bolababy Posts: 706
I think it is quite inappropriate for a non-pregnant health professional to be giving that advice to a pregnant women. There is no such thing as a low risk pregnancy when it comes to swine flu as being pregnant makes you high risk. Although she is a midwife she could still be quite uninformed. I think health professional should give a balanced opinion on it and not sine ridiculous scare mongering about it. Did she have any facts regarding reasons not to get it or just vague stories bout it being bad !
lush11 Posts: 2877
I have an aunt and sister in law who would not give me an opinion on it either way which was really really annoying so to be honest its good to hear her opinion. I did get it after initially deciding not to but so so so glad i got it cos i have 2 relations in hospital at the moment with swine flu and they are not good at all. One had an emergency caesarean 3 weeks early. This is a month on, is still out of it and has not seen her baby yet. It freaked me out but was so glad i got it
mrs doll Posts: 199
i asked my doctor about it and she said she got it herself when she was pregnant. i was also told that the jab they are giving this year is the seasonal flu jab. i got it because i think the risks are too great. i got my dd the injection too because she is in and out of hospital a lot.
FoundHome Posts: 1753
What an irresponsible thing to come from a healthcare professional O:|
mrswhits Posts: 277
I got it as when I was in the hospital for a check up I saw signs on the post-natal ward saying there was an outbreak of swine flu, I got a big fright and as another poster said it's the seasonal flu jab that's given every year.
MrsPatience Posts: 1147
[quote="bolababy":rn4d9gvf]I think it is quite inappropriate for a non-pregnant health professional to be giving that advice to a pregnant women. There is no such thing as a low risk pregnancy when it comes to swine flu as being pregnant makes you high risk. Although she is a midwife she could still be quite uninformed. I think health professional should give a balanced opinion on it and not sine ridiculous scare mongering about it. Did she have any facts regarding reasons not to get it or just vague stories bout it being bad ![/quote:rn4d9gvf] +100 i have heard about doctors and nurses giving "their personal opinion" and i think its disgraceful....i was told by my own GP if i had seen a pregnant lady with swine flu i wouldnt be even questioning whether to get it or not to get it...unfortunately there has been cases where the worse has happened so i really dont think that a professional should give that opinion...
lilygrace Posts: 195
[quote="FoundHome":21ybl7fu]What an irresponsible thing to come from a healthcare professional O:|[/quote:21ybl7fu] I was just thinking back about the conversation I had with that same midwife over the weekend and while she was trying to convince me to take a anti sickness tablets, I was asking her would it effect the baby....and dya know what she said to me, which is only starting to shock me now - think I was so dehydrated at the time that I wasnt really with it :-8 But she said you can take any medication during pregnancy within reason. Now at the time, I just played dumb, as to be honest I didnt have the energy to have a debate with her, but I did ask her like what? And she said that you can basically take anything that sold over the counter from your chemist, within reason during pregnancy........... You wonder how some people have or get a job coming out with lines like that!!!!!!! O:| O:| O:| O:|