Swine Flu/Pregnancy ** Don't read if you worry lots!**

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

walkingwollie Posts: 3344
Don't know if anyone saw, but a lady in Scotland delivered a little premature baby at 29 weeks due to being infected by the Swine Flu. WebMD says that it's been fatal in some pregnant women and in people with underlying conditions. I am really, really scared of this flu.. I am also asthmatic, with a history of massive exacerbations (requiring hospitalisations) after colds. I am also really, really scared that everyone has become so complacent about it. I'm trying to be careful and carrying tissues/alcohol gel everywhere (work in a split setting: healthcare/education so clinics and schools) and all I hear is people scoffing at it as if it's nothing as they see it as 'mild' because people aren't dropping dead every two seconds and/or they see it as some media made-up thing. Starting to think that if it does hit in Sept or Oct that I will take mat leave early to be on the safe side, as being in GP clinics and schools if it does kick off seems a bit foolhardy. I know probably everything will be ok, but what a shame that it's something else to worry about. Anyone else scared too?
milis Posts: 7998
From what I can gather, the problem is more serious in the UK than it is here. If I were in the UK I probably would be more worried about it than I am. All you can do for now is eat well, keep your immune system strong and if you do hear of anyone in your area being infected, you can reassess the situation then.
I am in the UK. And there have been cases in my city... And I'm a public transport user. Bit early for me to do much about it, really, but I am worried.
milis Posts: 7998
If the cases have been people you are in contact with I would ask your doctor what he/she thinks you should do.
Obviously I would contact the doctor if I came into direct contact with an infected person.. I'm not being stupid about it, but getting more concerned as it gets closer and closer to where I am. As I work in the NHS I get a daily update and I know all the advice.. get in contact with someone if I have any symptoms but meanwhile follow good infection control guidelines (catch it, bin it, kill it). Where it falls down for me, say, is that it would be unlikely that I would be aware that I had come into contact with someone infected until after this happened. In the case of schools/clinics, I'm guessing it would get back to us.. but if it's someone on the train/bus I don't know how much information you'd get (as I haven't heard anyone mention this in relation to the other cases). It does annoy me that people don't take it seriously or think it's just some big media hype, when there are 500 confirmed cases with a steady increase in severity.
delgirl Posts: 1706
I too live in the Uk and I do think that some people are taking it seriously. I am a primary teacher and we have issued advice to all parents, put a quarantine on all people retruning from mexico in line with county advice. I think all you can do is follow advice as you have mentioned and really try not to worry.
Babystar Posts: 195
Personally I do think it is media hype to be honest. Just because it is new, the media are jumping on top of it. However, the facts are that it is no more severe or deadly than the regular seasonal flu. Every year 250,000 - 300,000 people die of the flu globally (including 36,000 in the US). Were you worried about flu before now? I wasn't, and still am not. Only 125 people have died of swine flu (72% in Mexico), which is tiny by comparison. 42,600 people are killed in car crashes in the US. Over 300 people are killed in Ireland. Car accident is much more likely than swine flu. But personally I am not going to stop driving on the roads just in case something happens. Unfortunately every day we have to take risks just to get on with our lives. We can be sensible and take precautions, but there is no point getting freaked out by the media. Just my perspective!
zoesmama Posts: 2774
i am worried about this and have been since the first pg woman died in the US. afaik - there have been 3 pg women in the US and 1 in the Dominican Rep who have died from it. the woman in Scotland is freaking me out too as it is a little too close for my liking. i am being v careful with the hand-washing etc and do carry gel with me but i really feel there is actually v little you can do about catching it. my DH uses Public Transport and works in an office with air-con only and no fresh air circulating. DS is in Playschool. the CDC in the US are strongly recommending the use of Tamiflu in pg women if you do get it although there are no recommendations here. the CDC have a case study on their website showing 3 pg women who have had it. the first women was not given tamiflu for over 2 weeks and died and the other 2 were given it within 48 hours and survived. i would be pushing to be treated with it if i did catch it. i am comforted by the fact that i am so close to the end of my pregnancy and the baby is approx 6lbs already so i feel that they could take the baby and treat me aggressively if needs be. also comforted by the fact that there has only been 1 case of in-country transmission here in Ireland. not happy though with the fact that yesterday there were 2 more cases confirmed here bringing the total to 11 and not 1 newspaper / news website or the dohc or hse websites reported that. can be found on the ECDC website. unfortunately the receptionist at the Ob/Gyn is currently in Florida to be followed by NYC and i am afraid she will pick it up and bring it back to all of us pg women.
[quote="Babystar"]Personally I do think it is media hype to be honest. Just because it is new, the media are jumping on top of it. However, the facts are that it is no more severe or deadly than the regular seasonal flu. Every year 250,000 - 300,000 people die of the flu globally (including 36,000 in the US). [b:2mcusvkv]Were you worried about flu before now? ![/[/b:2mcusvkv]quote] Yeah, pretty much. If I was a healthy person, would I be worried? Maybe not.. but the fact is, I am a moderate-severe asthmatic who happens to be pregnant (and therefore immuno-suppressed). This makes me pretty vulnerable. I have been hospitalised before because of the common cold (and when I say hospitalised, I mean 2-3 weeks, ICU etc). Also, as someone working in the health service, I don't believe for one second it's 'media hype'. I've read the DoH documents here and the projections in terms of a pandemic are very conservative, but still huge.. and currently are based totally on the likelihood of it behaving just like seasonal flu. Seasonal flu is actually quite a serious thing for people in vulnerable categories.. but because we all have a little immunity to it, it's actually quite rare that people actually get it. There is no immunity to swine flu, so actually, the 'panic' is not based on its severity, but on how fast it might spread.. and if it did spread fast, the effect it would have on vulnerable groups. So people not taking it seriously and following precautions are highly likely to help the spread.. which is a worry. The statistics NOW are not the problem, it's what happens if it happens to kick off in Sept/Oct (or anytime before a vaccine is ready). And for the average healthy person it will be fine.. but as kc05 has said, it has killed pg women.. and people with 'underlying' health conditions.
zoesmama Posts: 2774
Mrs Bean - i would defo talk to your Dr about all of this particularly as you do fall into a high risk group. if i wasn't pg i wouldn't be worried about this at all or at least not yet. i luckily don't have any other medical issues. but i am pg. and it is niggling at the back of my mind that 4 pg women have died and 1 is v seriously ill. seasonal flu does not target pg women to that extent - yes they may have complications if they get it but not death. one article i read suggested that pg women and kids increase their intake of Vit D which can help to ward off the flu. something else i read last night suggests that the WHO is about to officially declare a Pandemic and if so it will trigger responses from Govts in countries and hopefully this will help stop the complacency. however it could also trigger too much panic.