Switch from Pregnacare to Galfer?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Hi girls At appointment in Rotunda (11 weeks) the nurse told me to switch from Pregnacare to Galfer (I think that was the name). I didn't write down what she said, must try and ring tomorrow (difficult as they're only open during work hours and have to go out in the rain to ring so work don't hear, but if the midwife's not available I can't get them to call me back). Anyway I think they said stop Pregnacare at 14 weeks (which I am today) and switch to Galfer.....don't even know where I can buy it, tried Boots in Jervis St and no luck. Am also taking MumOmega, think they said that was ok throughout pregnancy? If I take Pregnacare for a few extra days while waiting to get the Galfer, is that ok? Think that's better than stopping as otherwise I'm not getting any extra iron and vitamins at all, and not sure how easy I'll find it to get my hands on the Galfer....
Florrie06 Posts: 316
Hi Grungebride Pregnacare is perfectly safe to take throughout the whole pregnancy so you don't have to stop at 14 weeks. The nurse probably wanted to see you taking more iron as Galfer is solely an iron supplement with Folic Acid so has more iron than the pregnacare. I took both Galfer and Pregnacare through the pregnancy as wanted a multi-vitamin too and both my GP and consultant said this was fine. So by all means keep taking the pregnacare till you get the Galfer. Maybe try the Unicare chemists or McCabe's for the Galfer, I think they both stock it. If you have trouble locating it, there are other iron supplements you could get, Spatone is one but the chemist will be able to tell you which ones are suitable for pregnancy. HTH
taurus09 Posts: 484
not sure where you are located but i've seen galfer in the chemist beside the national gallery accross from trinity. think its clare street.
lifestooshort Posts: 2312
I've picked it up everywhere i've tried to get it!
short n sweet Posts: 1802
I wasn't taking Pregnacare but started the Galfer at 14 weeks - I have stopped now as it was making me too constipated and I actually got piles from it (thankfully have healed now) So I am going to ask GP what he wants me to take instead of Galfer - I think it was doing me more harm than good! Hopefully you won't have the same problems
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Checked with the midwife in the Rotunda and she said take it from 18 weeks and take Pregnacare up til then. Docs/nurses seem to say different things but if Pregnacare is ok right throughout pregnancy then assume it's fine to do as she said.