Taking H2B tax credits. Will it affect his Dole?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsblacky Posts: 440
Hi, Myself and H2B are married a month now and we were chatting last night about money. He has been out of work since December and his Dole is means tested because he was self-employed. He gets €154 a week. We were just wondering if I took his tax credits would this affect his dole payment because it's means tested? We're not really sure about how this works so thought i'd ask here first! Thanks in advance, ab10
sharmon Posts: 437
To be honest I'm not sure, but as far as I can make out, if registered as a married couple & 1 person takes the others tax free allowance, the person not working gets nothing essentially they are a dependant!? I think thats the case anyway, don't quote me on it though...
mrswed0505 Posts: 444
Hi I am not sure about the self emlployed part but don't transfer all his credits as he will taxeded on his dole. What they do when you are back working is reduce your cut off by the amount you received and then they reduce your credit by the amount of tax that should have been paid on that amount. if you have all of his credits transferred you could end up owing money. I am currently out of work and I am waiting till the begining of next year and asking for a P21 Balancing statement. I looking at it as a way of saving. Hopefully I wont be out of work much longer but it as been a few months now.
leixi Posts: 67
i dont know about self employed, but we were married in Dec and my DH lost his job then too, so he signed on we then applied to transfer the tax credits over to me in Feb, and it did not affect his dole at all and we got a lovely tax rebate for the few months we have been married too, really helped. :wv
mrswed0505 Posts: 444
You still receive your dole as normal it just affects your credits and cut offs. My husband was out of work and on the dole last year and when we got a P21 balancing statement it shows the deduction of the amount he received
Senorita Posts: 3413
I'm in a similar position, I've been given my husbands tax credits. He's out of work 6 months. I'm a bit concerned about the means testing, that occurs after 9 months (but please God he will have a job by then). Has anyone gone through the means test process? Did you loose much of your €204 jsa?
JRowe Posts: 28
It depends on your earnings. DP was out of work after I had DS and when it came to means testing he would have got €24 a week - we got more on FIS so he decided to stay at home and look after DS and we claiemd FIS instead. My gross yearly wage would have been around €23,000 at the time so not huge.