Taking vitamins & folic acid?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

2006wedding Posts: 965
Hi just started taking folic acid along with my multibionta vitamins - have read in another post on here that you shouldnt take anything else when taking the folic acid? I had been taking multibionta for a few months and they really helped me (i seem prone to tiredness) then i stoppped for a while but I really needed to start take them again as I was completely exhausted all the time (and i am not even preggers yet!!). Anyway just wanted to check its ok to take both ?
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:3rgppome]When you do get pg they advise you not to take anything other than the Folic Acid. Also, Vitamin A is not good for the baby and you'll find this in most multivitamins!![/color:3rgppome]
[color=indigo:1zr1agik]Meant to say, why don't you look at taking a multiviatmin now that doens't have the Vitamin A in it, just in case you do get pg soon!! [/color:1zr1agik]
Thanks Christmas B, i would stop taking the multibionta when if i found out i was pregnant, but do you think its ok in the meantime to carry on taking both>
[color=indigo:1ez8vcap]I'd say it's totally fine chick and totally fine to stop talking the multivatmins when you find your pregnant!! Just so you know, I was actually 6 weeks pg before I knew I was because I had an implatation bleed, so if I was taking the multivatmins with the Vitamin A at the time, I don't think it would have been good for baby. Would you consider taking a multivitamin without the Vit A? I stopped taking my multivitamins when I stopped taking the Pill but sure if you have any doubts give your doctor a bell!![/color:1ez8vcap]
MrsNoc05 Posts: 1823
2006wedding - me and hubby have taken centrum since we moved in together and I was buying them with my folic acid in chemist one day and the pharmacist said I shouldnt take the centrum if it was ttc, so i asked her about an alternative as like you when I stopped taking them I would get awful tiredness etc so she recommended the Pregnacare and I have taken them since and still am taking them, I find them great they have all the stuff you need plus a bit of Iron too which has been a help to me and even now my doc has not put me on Iron as I just dont need it, and I dont generally have a good diet i dont really eat red meat and stuff I should be getting iron from. HTH MrsNoc
gogglebox Posts: 910
do you think it's ok to take b vitamins and folic acid? my b vitamins only have 200 mgc of folic acid, so I take 400mcg of folic acid also, just to make sure... are the other b's ok if you get the BFP?
found this on the net: "Very high levels of the retinol form of Vitamin A can be harmful to your developing baby. Any supplement providing more than 3,300 micrograms (mcg) per day of retinol may harm your baby. The betacarotene form of the vitamin is safe, but check the labels carefully and ask your pharmacist for advice. " I checked my multivitamins and they have 800micrograms of Vit A - this seems to be well below, allowing also for Vit A taken in from food????
http://ific.org/publications/brochures/ ... ybroch.cfm Scroll down to the bottom for a chart which shows recommended intakes during pregnancy for different age groups