Teachers help please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lucie lu Posts: 760
I'm a primary teacher in the North, and have just literally got a phonecall to offer me a post for 6 months. It's a p1 class. So they're just coming into school. Delighted to say the least, but I'm so nervous! Any tips on how to welcome the new children, they're only wee babies, how do I make them feel welcome and not scared? Has anybody got any fun activities I can try with them?
mrs shamrock Posts: 603
Just pm'd you, hope it sent ok.
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
http://bigdip.blogspot.com/2010/07/firs ... fants.html This may help! H2B has Junior Infants which is the equivalent.
raccoonbaby Posts: 276
Look up educationposts.ie , under the resources section there is a forum which should give you lots of ideas.
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
I teach Junior infants as well and for the 1st week or 2 you just need to remember that they'll get tiredv quickly so you need a good mix of songs and stories to do during the day so they can rest for bit. On the 1st day I let them play with toys at their tables for good while, during this time I go around and talk to them, collect up their books etc and generally try to get to know them. Then we tidy up and I have a v quick run through of the basic rules, eg no hitting, no talking when teacher/ someone else talking and ask who is going to be really good all year - they love putting their hands up to tell you how good they'll be! Then might do a colouring page - we've copied about 6 pages for them for 1st few days. Some songs we do are ;5 little fingers http://supersimplesongs.com/cd1-4.html and they do the actions as well, wheels on the bus and head shoulders knees and toes. Some stories we do are 'I Don't want to go to bed, Pig in the Pond, Duck in the Truck etc. If you have an IWB topmarks.co.uk have loads of easy activities which infants love! Also give them loads of time to eat their lunch, takes AGES for first while!
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Firstly congrats on the job!! [quote="raccoonbaby":26q5fa43]Look up educationposts.ie , under the resources section there is a forum which should give you lots of ideas.[/quote:26q5fa43] Definitely have a look here - you'll get loads of ideas of what to do etc. I've 3rd so not much good to you but I know the girls teaching infants in our school have a little booklet ready for the children for the 1st day which they swear by. I think I've seen examples of them on educationposts so you might be able to find one there to use. Best of luck for your first day - the first hour is the most daunting...after that you just go with the flow!!
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
I find it easier to have loose sheets rather than booklets. With the booklets theres always 1 (or 10!) who'll colour the whole lot as soon as your back is turned! Or puts it in their bag and then when you're giving them out the next day their one isn't there! So pages can be easier to manage! We have them photocopied and ready to go. Got colouring pictures done (large ones with small amount of detail) and then a matching page from a maths book and a picture of a girl/boy in a school uniform.
Thanks for all the replies!! I can't wait to start now! I start tomorrow, with 2 days without the children in, so I've plenty of time to get my head around things. I really really appreciate you all taking the time to reply to this! :)
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
Best of luck! H2B is back tomorrow and the kids on Wed!
Just wanted to thankyou all again for the tips! I'm having such a lovely time with the class, they are just fabulous! Again...I really appreciate the time taken to reply, thanks.