Teachers update on mat leave!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mb2010 Posts: 103
Hi all, I checked asti and tui websites and it says maternity leave has been revised, 20 days annual leave 9 days public holidays. Sounds good I just cant understand how it works?? Im due end of May, does this mean we get extra 4 weeks and bank hoildays??
micls Posts: 1156
[quote="mb2010":15cjygqk]Hi all, I checked asti and tui websites and it says maternity leave has been revised, 20 days annual leave 9 days public holidays. Sounds good I just cant understand how it works?? Im due end of May, does this mean we get extra 4 weeks and bank hoildays??[/quote:15cjygqk] I would double check. As far as I heard, the 20 days leave are counted during the rest of the year after your maternity leave and used up by the standard holidays. So for example, if you're on ML from October-April. From April on you have your 20 days annual leave, but this will be used at Easter/Summer holidays so you don't actually get any extra to take after the maternity leave itself. This was my understanding based on the INTO though so I might be wrong.
Just rang Vec so dissapointed :o( still cut, they are waiting to hear about bank holidays though
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Mb2010, the circular finally came out a couple of weeks ago and yes you're right - we have been granted 20 days in lieu and up to 9 bank holidays [u:2qi3qk5c]BUT[/u:2qi3qk5c] these can only be taken if, over the course of the full school year (Sept - Aug.) you won't get 20 days holidays because of maternity leave. So, basically, if you're going out on mat leave in May and just say you're due back in Nov/Dec you'll still get your fortnight's holidays at Christmas, week off in Feb, 2 weeks at Easter and then the summer holidays so you'll get more than 20 days off over the course of the year so you won't be liable to claim for any days in lieu. They were really cute in how they worded it so it does sound like they've rowed back on things but in reality they haven't at all. Here's a link to the other thread where it came up at the time in case I haven't explained it very well (the last few pages): [url:2qi3qk5c]http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion/teachers-days-in-lieu-budget-t380560-100.html[/url:2qi3qk5c]
Thanks for replies...tell me again why we pay union fees O:|
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
You'd have to wonder at the moment MB2010!! Although in our school alone there were teachers thinking that this really wasn't the worst cut to take - and these were ones who'd be looking to avail of mat leave in the near future O:| O:|
70schick Posts: 201
Thanks for explanation vino queen. Fingers crossed I hope to be going on mat leave in nov/dec so I guess that's me out for any days in lieu?? It's hugely disappointing the number of teachers who are not even aware nor too pushed about this. The unions are sh!te but in fairness the members need to get off their asse$ and start doing something. Fair dues to the other public sector workers out there today giving it holly. We could learn a lot from them.
In my school I am the only one expecting so people don't care cause it doesn't affect them..your right we could learn alot from other workers, really unhappy with union. :weep