teachers when did you stop yard duty?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cheer bear bride Posts: 3731
just wondering if you kept up yard duty when you got bigger, and if you stopped was it you or boss who told you to stop? Another teacher pointed out to me yesterday that I really shouldn't be doing it anymore (300 kids running around me) and after talking to others realised they all stopped pretty early I presume if you stop you dont get supervision money?
roxychick Posts: 1802
I did it up to the end. It wasn't too bad. A bit hard walking around sometimes but the weather was nice so it didn't really bother me.
cheer bear bride Posts: 3731
Were you not worried about the safety aspect? i walk my dog every day so its not the walking that gets to me its the 300 kids running around in such a small space, they are forever crashing into people!
roxychick Posts: 1802
I suppose I didn't think about it too much. Can't remember there being any incidents though. I suppose it's a personal decision at the end of the day. I didn't even think about not doing it
Bear Posts: 671
I was on the rota til the end of Jan so around 6 months. I had a bit of a scare though and didn't do any after christmas. I still got paid, I think once you have a certain amount done you still get the full pay.
Peaseblossom Posts: 6642
still doing it and now on crutches avent done it on crutches yet though
birdie Posts: 954
God it hadn't even crossed my mind to stop yard duty, although our yards are split in two so it's not as manic as yours sounds....maybe I should have a think about it though! I don't know what the pay situation is so I'm no help there!
lovelife26 Posts: 134
same this end gonna do it till the end... but our school is tiny so not much to worry bout...although I did fall down the bank one day ended up in hospital that evenin (all fine) so do be extra carefull and keep away from the balls.... i am terrified of getting a whack of one of those basketballs!! Before I was preg got a close range whack of one of the balls in my tummy and it brought tears to my eyes so if you do continue it like me..... be extra careful! babs is most important!! Six weeks left woo hoo!!!
delirious Posts: 287
I have just been signed off three weeks early there yesterday but was doing yard duty till this week. i never really thought of giving it up though! kids dont play with basketballs etc on three yards. so it was safe enough. i have heard of teachers just standing at the wall watching but that may not be feasible if you have just the one yard etc.
purple haze Posts: 66
our staff cover the expectant mum's yard duty for the last while...so she can get the supervision money...there's 15 of us...so its grand...u could get them to start the tradition 4 u! (They're a nice bunch really!!) PS...Not pregnant...just replying!!