Teething Toddler - at wits end

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lush Posts: 506
Hi All Looking for any advice with teething? I have a 13 month old toddler who is teething badly at the moment (bad nappies, temperature and most of all lack of sleep!) We have had no sleep in our house now for a full week, before that it was broken nights sleep. I would take any advice please! He won't let me put bonjela or calgel of his gums, I have tried to put it on the soother to then rub on but he spits it out. Giving calpol/nurofen doesn't seem to work either. We had screaming in pain for a couple of nights and now its broken sleep. Please help!!! :weep :weep :weep
lilytiger Posts: 536
Oh god, it's such a nightmare when they're teething really badly and no-one is getting any sleep. Would you try either a paralink suppository or a nurofen suppository? I find the effects of both last longer when given rectally. It can be difficult for them to let you put it in, that's the only thing. Some people recommend the amber teething necklaces but I've never tried one so can't say but it might help to ease it a bit and he might let you put the bonjela or teetha onto his gums then? Someone recommended freezing a flannel facecloth and let them chew on that, to me, I've never tried it but you could give it a go. Hope it passes and the tooth cuts soon.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I'm a bug fan of the amber teething necklaces! +1 on the suppositories. Frozen frubes would be a good cold snack during the day that might help soothe his gums
sideshows Posts: 1
Is it definitely teeth? When my toddler got that bad and wouldn't sleep at all I brought him to doc and he had an ear infection so got antibiotics. He found it hard to lie down as it aggravated it and calpol / neurofen didn't seem to work even for a couple of hours to get him to sleep. As a baby / young toddler, he always suffered with his teeth and took a long time to sleep through the night. He now has all his teeth and sleeps much better (fingers crossed). Hope you all get some sleep soon.
katiebaby78 Posts: 679
Paralink and time are the only answers
Lush Posts: 506
Gave the paralink and nurofen last night no real help. Sideshows - I had him at doc on Monday thinking that but said nope!
mamajen Posts: 2263
[quote="sideshows":3doy4mh3]Is it definitely teeth? When my toddler got that bad and wouldn't sleep at all I brought him to doc and he had an ear infection so got antibiotics. He found it hard to lie down as it aggravated it and calpol / neurofen didn't seem to work even for a couple of hours to get him to sleep. As a baby / young toddler, he always suffered with his teeth and took a long time to sleep through the night. He now has all his teeth and sleeps much better (fingers crossed). Hope you all get some sleep soon.[/quote:3doy4mh3] Same as you, twice now I've thought it was teeth and twice turned out to be an ear infection