Menu

Tefal Actifry Healthy Chip Fryer- anyone tried?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SGirl Posts: 2542
Seriously off topic!! Was in Currys at the wkend and saw tis, This is wat its supposed to do: it fries chips with 1 tablespoon of oil.. ie v healthy option it doent smell like a deep fat fryer Its pricey €200.. anyone tried it? I have checked out internet reviews but would love to hear from trusted WOLS
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
Don't have one and have never used one but a friend had one of the ones where he basket rotates in a small amount of oil - probably much the same idea but it took FOREVER to cook a basket of chips!
marianf Posts: 5845
We were seriously considering buying one and did some research. We didn't in the end because of the time it takes to cook the chips and the price seems too much for a deep fat fryer. I think there was something about the capacity of the basket which was also a turnoff. We got the De Longhi Rotofryer instead. It was a bit more expensive than a regular fryer but its great and uses about half the fat (if not less) of a conventional fryer. There is a rotating basket in it which makes the food cook more evenly and means the chips are not fully submerged in the oil. Really easy to clean and doesn't seem like a deep fat fryer!! Well I don't think it does. We normally put it on a board on top of the hob and turn on the extractor fan.
nk12 Posts: 115
hey we have one and it does take half an hour for chips and you can only make enough for a family of 4 (just) but they are healthier! so i just plan ahead!
SGirl Posts: 2542
Thanks for the replies ladies, im still in two minds, i reckon i will buy one but mite wait for the price to go down a bit first, maybe Jan sales...
stargal Posts: 462
[quote="marianf":oh8hjzp0]We were seriously considering buying one and did some research. We didn't in the end because of the time it takes to cook the chips and the price seems too much for a deep fat fryer. I think there was something about the capacity of the basket which was also a turnoff. We got the De Longhi Rotofryer instead. It was a bit more expensive than a regular fryer but its great and uses about half the fat (if not less) of a conventional fryer. There is a rotating basket in it which makes the food cook more evenly and means the chips are not fully submerged in the oil. Really easy to clean and doesn't seem like a deep fat fryer!! Well I don't think it does. We normally put it on a board on top of the hob and turn on the extractor fan.[/quote:oh8hjzp0] Does this have the typical chip-fryer smell or leave a smell after it being used?
John Walsh Guitar
tweedledee Posts: 329
Don't know where you're locatated but i seen one of these in Kildare village. Don't know exactly how much it was but all the prices were pretty good