Tell me I'm being stupid (or not) worried about chicken pox

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Delish Posts: 4176
My friend minds a child, he had chicken pox last week, I see her and the child 2 or 3 times a week. She now has the chicken pox. I called the maternity hospital and they said I am immune to chicken pox, so phew! But my sister is 9 weeks pregnant - do I need to avoid her, could I be carrying the virus? Secondly I don't know whether I am imagining things, but felt a bit run down yesterday, tired and sore throat and I have 3 seperate very small pink blemishes on my body. Now I get spots on my body from time to time anyway so maybe this is nothing. I have 1 red spot under my arm, and then a tiny blemish on my forearm and shin (perhaps they are nothing). Just wondering do you think I could have it and should I stay away from my sister. Hospital told me I am immune and that it was a very grey area as to whether I could pass the virus on, they said the virus can be picked up anywhere so you can't really protect against it. The thing is I'm having my 30th birthday party this weekend, do I have to avoid my sis for the weekend?
hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
No, I don't think you can carry the virus without getting sick. If that was the case, we'd have to all be in quarantine for nine months! Has your sister had her bloods done yet? If she has had chicken pox as a child, she is more than likely immune (i know that's not a definite though) Sure how many other people will be at that party who have possibly come into contact with someone who contacted someone else with the chicken pox? I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.
Delish Posts: 4176
Ok I probably just needs someone to talk a bit of sense into me. I am probably just panicking now. I actually feel itchy, but I think it is all in my mind, it must be. :o0
Emme Posts: 4735
Hi Delish, I'm well up on the chickenpox problem, I have no immunity and spent the first three months avoiding my nieces and nephews! Basically a lot of people are carriers. Like I could be a carrier and never develop it properly. Also, some people get it very mildly or very young so although they or their parents have a memory of them having chickenpox they don't have immunity and they can be carriers as well. The stay away period is three weeks. There was an outbreak in my nieces class and my doc told me to keep away from my niece, who had a good dose of it when she was younger just in case. Also, there is a vaccination available for any further pregnancys, no. 1 on my list of things to get afterwards! Now I'm itchy!
s wife Posts: 1445
my neice had the chicken pox a few weeks ago and i was alittle worried but as ive had them as a child im grand i was told that even if i didnt have them as a child the chances of harmning the unborn baby is tiny something .05 % so all's good and try not to worry :wv