Telling people about pg and facebook

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

raspberry ripple Posts: 1809
We are planning on telling family and close friends about pregnancy in 2 weeks. Will try and hold off telling work for another couple of weeks after that cause my boss will be away on hols and I would rather tell her than go to hr. Problem is, 3 of the girls in the office are my friends on facebook. I don't use it a huge amount but some of my good friends do. I will obviously ask them not to put anything about my pregnancy on facebook but I am afraid that someone will, and the girls at work will see it. Is there anyway I can disable my account on facebook for a couple of weeks or make it completely private or something so no-one can post on it?
June09Rome Posts: 211
you can limit the access that the 3 girls have! go to account settings - privacy settings - and then customise the settings to suit!
Dill Posts: 1640
When i told people i just asked them not to say anything on facebook cos i hadnt got around to telling everyone yet... suprisingly no one did!
lollyfp Posts: 2441
Hi, I have the same problem! We have told family and close friends and DH's work friends but I don't want my ex-workmates (was made redundant recently) knowing yet as I'm still looking for a job and I know that once they know I have no hope as it's a small industry! I have been so worried someone will let it slip on Facebook but I have asked everyone directly to please not mention it yet and luckily they have not! I would be gutted if they did for many reasons - I can't wait to finally announce it properly soon! Not sure what to say on Facebook when I do? I will see my ex-workmates when I am 16 weeks pregnant and I won't have a hope of hiding it then so will tell them then and announce on Facebook!!
miracle_baby Posts: 798
I have told friends and family not to mention anything on facebook infact only 2 of my close friends know about my pregnancy. I am such a private person :o0
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
you can deactovate your account or you can just remove your wall, that's what i did. then anyone who wants to say anything has to send you a private message or comment on your status so just don't update your status. i told people at 14 weeks, am 24 weeks now and no one has mentioned it on facebook so far!
milis Posts: 7998
[quote="June09Rome":2suf6x7p]you can limit the access that the 3 girls have! go to account settings - privacy settings - and then customise the settings to suit![/quote:2suf6x7p] I did this for colleagues too, it's great, and it means I can limit the info they get about me in general :o0
June09Rome Posts: 211
[quote="Milis":3m9luw9w][quote="June09Rome":3m9luw9w]you can limit the access that the 3 girls have! go to account settings - privacy settings - and then customise the settings to suit![/quote:3m9luw9w] I did this for colleagues too, it's great, and it means I can limit the info they get about me in general :o0[/quote:3m9luw9w] yea that's how i figured it out (not pg at all!!) a lot of work colleagues added me and some family that i didn't want knowing what i'm getting up to! (not that i'm up to anything interesting but still!)
raspberry ripple Posts: 1809
Thanks girls, will ask my friends not to put anything up but as some of them are abroad, mightn't get to talk to them all before texts start flying around! I will also try and limit the girls access as June09Rome suggested. Just one wee question though - will they know that I have limited their access/will they get notification or anything?