Telling the Folks

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Smurf Posts: 1447
At what stage did ye tell your folks. We're thinking of telling them this weekend however I'm only 6 weeks. Is it too early? What way did your folks take it?
mama sugar Posts: 1387
well hairy molly.....I haven't had the pleasure yet but I think I would tell them straight after the doc confirmed it....I am really close to my mam, so she would probably guess....I couldn't hold that in. But id wait to tell the rest of the family aunty's and all that until a good few weeks!
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Hairy Molly I'm probably unusual but we've decided not to tell a soul until we've had our first scan at 12 weeks. We're just terrified that something might go wrong and we would prefer to decide then whether or not to tell anyone about it. My cousin recently had a miscarriage and the whole family, extended cousins and second cousins etc. know all about it and I would not want that for myself. Also, my mum is a real worrier and I'd prefer to tell her when I know everything is fine. On DH's side, his mum is currently ill in hospital so they have enough to be thinking about - we're hoping she'll be fully recovered in 3 weeks when we're hoping to tell. We're just super-cautious folks who are erring on the side of caution. I would imagine most people tell their parents earlier, or am I wrong? I'm finding it really hard not to tell anyone but will be shouting it from the rooftops in 3 weeks all going well!
Miki Posts: 309
we planned on saying nothing till the 12wk mark but i blabbed around 6wks, couldnt hold it in! Im so glad i did now because i cant imagine not being able to ring my mam up to moan about every little ache and pain. on a serious note, i know this is horrible to even think. but if something bad did happen you need your familys support.
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Miki I wish I could phone my mum about everything too! And my cousins and sister-in-law who've had kids! If anything goes wrong I will definitely be telling my mum but I'm honestly not sure I would want anyone else to know. Hairy Molly just do what feels right for you! I'm naturally someone who tends to plan for the worst case scenario (am trying to be more optimistic as I want to be a good role model as a mum!).
Think I'll have to tell me mam anyway. She doesn't know yet and I'd love to have rang her yesterday about the brown discharge I was getting but I couldn't ring and say, "Hey mam i'm pregnant but I'm having brown discharge what does that mean". So i think i'll be teling my parents this weekend and we'll probably tell his parents too but that'll be it for a long time. Maybe at 10 or 12 weeks i'll start telling my friends and that.
Sparklymum Posts: 1563
Well I told my Mum at 5 weeks, she lives with us and I knew she'd cop it, had to tell DD at 8 weeks because she heard me throwing up a few mornings and thought I had some terminal illness or something and told DH's parents that weekend. I didn't tell anyone else though till the 12 weeks were up. Everyone has different idea's about it. Heard of a friend of mine pregnant and her Mum is disgusted she's told everyone so early she's 16 weeks.... I think she did well to keep it a secret that long, lol.
[quote:12k5ulk7] she's 16 weeks.... I think she did well to keep it a secret that long, lol[/quote:12k5ulk7] Oh god love everyone around me if i had to keep it a secret til 16 weeks. I think I'd internally combust :o0
Sassy Posts: 2269
I'm not lucky enough to be worring about that yet but i don't think i could keep it from my mum for too long. Like mrs sugar i'm very close to my mother and we do alot of things together, i think she will guess. My problem is DH said that he would not want to tell them until after the scan and i know that i'm going to Holles Street ( when it happens) and they don't scan until around the 18wk or over mark. I think i would like are familys to know but then wait until the 14wk mark to tell everyone else. I suppose its a personal chose.
bree Posts: 1880
I was 11wks on our wedding day & because everyone was so excited about the wedding we didnt want to take the focus away from that so decided not to tell anyone until after the honeymoon - i think it was easier for me tho , i work in a challagening behaviour unit so was obliged to inform my employer immediatly ( therefore EVERY1 at work knew so could bounce any queries i had off people with babies in there ). When we got back from Honeymoon tho we were ready to burst .. the dvd of our wedding was waiting to be watched so we all gathered round the sitting room & threw it on.... when it got to the vows the camera was really close on my face & when the priest asked " will u accept with love any children which God may give u?" i broke out in the biggest happiest grin ever & was obbessively winking at DH... everyone in the room just looked at us & we didnt have to say much else...