tens machine hire or buy?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrs celtic Posts: 155
Just wondering about anyone that used a tens machine in labour. Did you find it useful? Also did you hire it or buy and where did you get it from?
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I bought mine on Amazon - haven't used it yet obviously :o0 InHealth sell them as well!
Crusoe Posts: 128
I had the Obi Tens from Mothercare for labour on DS - I found it pretty good but my electrodes got stuck to the sheets at one point and I didn't have replacements so it stopped working for me. Can't find it since I had DS so ordered another on inheath yesterday, along with replacement electrodes. Couldn't fault it for when it did work, but I ended up with a section and obviously didn't use it the whole way through. Hoping for a different outcome this time!
summersurprise Posts: 1276
I bought my own one last year and found it great, you have to use it from early labour though and build up the intensity then or it doesnt work, it was more a distraction than anything but a good distraction, I felt it eased the pains in my back a bit, DH was controlling the buttons when I was sitting on the ball and using gas & air, I would just tell him when to boost it and it worked great for me! :wv
Bellabobs Posts: 250
I bought one yesterday-i was going to rent from Boots, but it was €45 and only €60 to buy in Mothercare.
mrswifey Posts: 775
I decided to buy - it just didn't make financial sense to rent. Bought obi-tens from inhealth for less than 50 euros. Tried it out on my arm - all seems good!
elpi Posts: 748
I had planned on buying one but my Pregnancy PIlates instructor who's a physiotherapist also, advised that the ones you rent were much better and she recommended this one in particular http://www.medicare.ie/pulsar-tens-rental-pack.html so I think I'm gonna go with it.
Bluebear Posts: 1594
Just to point out if you plan on hiring tens machine from Boots it takes two weeks to arrive as they no longer have them I store but are ordered from the UK. I ended up buying Obi tens from Mothercare as I had left it too close to EDD to hire. Found tens machine great and used it from early contractions til the end.
seans missus Posts: 1381
I hired my TENS machine from Boots when I was pregnant with DD and I intend to do the same this time also. I found it great. I used it up until I got into the pool.