Tens machines

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Elegance Posts: 2848
hi girls.... as i'm almost at 32 weeks (I can hardly believe it!!!), i'm starting to think about labour. i wondered what are you all doing about tens machines? are you intending to use one and if so, will you purchase or rent one? if you could give details about how much you paid etc that would be fantastic! thanks a mill
curliwurli Posts: 3369
there is a tens machine in lidl this week for about €30, not sure if it's any good but seems quite reasonable
Buzzo Posts: 1055
[quote="curly wurly":lmn9dxwm]there is a tens machine in lidl this week for about €30, not sure if it's any good but seems quite reasonable[/quote:lmn9dxwm] if its the same type as the last time (a few months ago) its not suitable as it lacks a boost button - good for sports injuries etc but not labour afaik
Elegance Posts: 2848
thanks curlywurly and buzzo..... pity €30 a really good price! anyone else?
beller Posts: 22
Right I'm going to ask..... what is a tens machine???!!
suitcase of hopes and dreams Posts: 2932
A Tens machine is used for pain relief in labour. I bought mine in babys r' us up north, was only £35. The exact same one is in mothercare for 59.99, now if i wasn't going up north at the time i would have bought the one in MC as its 60 euro to rent a TENs in chemist for 4 weeks, makes far more sense to buy it iykwim. The one i got is very handy size and has the boost button. Just need to sit down and see how it works, better do it soon as am due today :o0
baby2008 Posts: 1254
Hi Elegance, I rented the pulsar tens machine from medicare.ie. It has a boost function which helps during contractions. I found it very good for early labour. I also had the lidl tens machine but found more relief the puslar tens machine. Think it cost 60 euro to rent.
Vogue Posts: 426
[quote="ever hopeful":2sccn5li]A Tens machine is used for pain relief in labour. I bought mine in babys r' us up north, was only £35. The exact same one is in mothercare for 59.99, now if i wasn't going up north at the time i would have bought the one in MC as its 60 euro to rent a TENs in chemist for 4 weeks, makes far more sense to buy it iykwim. The one i got is very handy size and has the boost button. Just need to sit down and see how it works, better do it soon as am due today :o0[/quote:2sccn5li] Ever hopeful, where in NI did you buy the tens?
Thumbelina Posts: 2340
I had the Pulsar one from Medicare as well. Found it great, had it on right to the end & when the midwife took it off me to get a trace on DS I nearly died with the strength of the contractions without it (and they were pretty bad with it too!!). It was €60, came with instruction dvd. Only thing I'd say about buying one is you need to make sure it's calibrated for labour properly & it will have to be re-calibrated every time it's used, you'll probably have to pay to get it re-calibrated & I'm not sure where you'd go. I just preferred to rent one & hand it back after! I'll definitely be renting another one this time!
suitcase of hopes and dreams Posts: 2932
Vogue i bought it in babies r' us in sprucefield *)