Term + 14: Induction

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Princess09 Posts: 821
:lvs 38 wks +2 days today, had my hosp appoint this afternoon and told doc about my strong views of not wanting to be induced, esp as my 1st due date was 30 Dec then at early scan moved to 17 Dec. She said given difference with dates, hosp policy is term + 10 but she'll allow me term + 14, not very much difference imo! Plus I's so against all the 'it's hospital policy' talk, really makes you feel like they just want to rush you in and out as quick as possible. Anyway for me term + 14 will be 31 Dec, to hubby's delight, he has always joked it better not be New Years Eve, I'm wondering would this be New Years Eve or would they wait for the first working day? Anyway I don't even know why I'm asking this question, as I'd prefer to be monitored everyday passed my due date until they advise it's no longer safe for baby. Has anyone same views any experience with same? Will hosp be accommodating if I absolutely refuse induction?
redroses Posts: 714
I personally woudlnt go beyond the 14 days over and i cant imagine wanting to go over 14 days either!! There are implications for baby being overdue, such as placenta deteriorating and baby not receiving sufficient oxygen. Your baby may also grow to large to be born vaginally. I know these are probably extreme complications but none the less there is always a chance. Hope all goes well with the last coupld weeks and you'l have your baby soon.
jen2 Posts: 3106
I went early on all mine, so can't give you my personal experience. But my mum was let go 12+ over on me, and I was a very sick baby. The placenta had stopped feeding me, I lost weight, and was born at 5lbs 5 oz. My skin was very cracked and dry. In special care along time.My mum thinks she was 16+, doc said 12+. personally I would not go over these dates. Hopefully this won't happen. Best of luck.
happy mummy Posts: 424
[quote="jen2":o748khyo]I went early on all mine, so can't give you my personal experience. But my mum was let go 12+ over on me, and I was a very sick baby. The placenta had stopped feeding me, I lost weight, and was born at 5lbs 5 oz. My skin was very cracked and dry. In special care along time.My mum thinks she was 16+, doc said 12+. personally I would not go over these dates. Hopefully this won't happen. Best of luck.[/quote:o748khyo] I'm expecting my first so nothing new to add first hand but like jen2 my mother was allowed go 16 days over on me (luckily she went into labour own day 16) but I was sick and small and it would kinda scare me off going too much overdue. Fingers crossed you go on your date or as close to as possible!
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
I was induced at 12 days over but my doc would have left me til 14 days except that I was going mad! In my case the whole process took 2 days so DS wasn't born til I was actually 14 days late & I always say to people now to wait til 14 days if you can. The whole thing is quicker & easier the more ready you're body is so those extra days could make a big difference. Your baby will not grow to big to deliver. DS was 11lbs and I did loads of research after I had him and the general consensus is that as the placenta looses function after 40 weeks, baby puts on very little weight after due date. Incidentally, i am small and had no problem delivering him. The reason they don't let you go past 14 days is coz the placenta is becoming less effective but I don't see why this couldn't be monitored if that's what you want. They will bring you in on a weekend/holiday, that won't be a factor as to when you are induced. I know plenty of people my age who were nearly a month overdue as their mums weren't induced and they were all fine but I would defo want daily monitoring if I was going past 14 days. Fingers crossed you'll go yourself!
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
With DD, I was brought in on day +14 to begin the induction process. Turned out her head was very slightly out of position so the induction didn't work and it was day +17 before she was born! One of the midwives while I was in the labour ward said I was the most pregnant woman she'd ever met :-8 (There was no confusion about dates, so I really was that overdue.) DD was born a fine and healthy 8lbs8 without a bother on her. Although those 17 days were probably the longest of my life, DD was well monitored (I had 2 cons appointments, 1 with gp and over the three days, more traces than I can remember) and we had no concerns for her. While I wouldn't change the outcome, I do sometimes wonder if DD had been left a few days more, would she have got into position herself and avoided the section. If we have another baby and I go over again I'd like to consider all options before automatically going go induction at +14, there's a lot to be said for allowing nature to take its course.