Test for toxoplasmosis immunity

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pattie Posts: 2379
I know you get this done in Spain as SIL had it done a while back. I'd love to get it checked before TTC again as I really missed the rare meat when I was pg, plus I was so worried about eating salads when out and in case I hadn't washed leave/herbs enough at home. Has anyone had it done in Ireland or enquired about it?
bellabella Posts: 2750
Pattie, i get it done every six weeks over here.Maybe ask your gp to do it.i'm sure he will. Good luck
That's interesting bellabella, are you immune then?
bellabella Posts: 2750
I'm negative so being extra careful not to pick it up.
workingmom Posts: 3429
Are you joking? they are hard pressed to check your iron counts in Ireland when pregnant.... I'm sure you can get it done, but there's no way it's standard testing when TTC, in fact nothing is, they test when you are already pregnant for rubella immunity! WTF is that about, like it's going to make a difference then.
Oh yeah, that makes sense bellabella, why would they keep testing you if you were immune, :duh: . IKWYM mrsgk, but I don't mind paying for it, just want to get it done in the hope I'm immune. If I'm not then I'll be so paranoid about getting it though, that's if we're lucky enough second time round.
leanbh1 Posts: 473
Interesting post.I used to live in Spain and have a lot of friends still over there.One of them I was talking to last week is due the same day as me.I was asking her what foods she missed and she was like :eek "I eat anything I want!"She had that test done on her last pregnancy and she's immune so she has free reign-cured meats,shellfish,soft cheeses,unpasteurised anything,stuff with raw egg...you name it!She couldn't believe the stuff I'm avoiding.I was seriously thinking of hopping on a plane and getting tested myself!Why isn't it standard here??
I know leanbh, it's mad, we are all so careful and the stats say 70% of us or so are immune to toxoplasmosis and the risk of listeria is practically nil, so if you're immune to TP you could nearly eat anything. I haven't rung the GP yet, hopefully it is possible here.
leanbh1 Posts: 473
Let us know Pattie.I would be first in line.Now if they could just figure out a way for us to drink as much wine as we wanted.... :o0
maisedon Posts: 1394
[quote="bellabella":7rzkxgp0]I'm negative so being extra careful not to pick it up.[/quote:7rzkxgp0] Bellabella, have you had much contact with cats?? Just wondering.... I have had contact with cats ever since I was a child, so I'm hoping I'm immune already. I'm going to ask my doc about it on my next visit because we have 2 cats now, up until recently we had 4 and we rehomed 2 kittens....but I have had so much contact with litter trays in the last year. :eek Then I read that toxoplasmosis can live in you for 9 months and that frightened the life out of me!!! :eek