Testing cosmetics on animals - thought this had stopped?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jagger Posts: 139
When I was a teenager there was lots of media coverage about the testing of cosmetics on animals. I know that The Body Shop became very popular among my class mates because they did not test on animals. I used to buy all my makeup, shampoo etc from there and then after a while started buying products from other companies which were not tested on animals. Over the years I stopped checking, assuming that that the testing had stopped. However, the other day I was reading a shampoo bottle when I had a shower (as you do!) and noticed it didn't mention it not being tested on animals and started thinking about it. So I googled it and found out that the particular company do test on animals as do the manufacturers of most of the products in my bathroom :eek . Was I completely naive to think that companies for the most part had stopped testing on animals for cosmetics? When I was in the chemist today I couldn't find one deodarant that claimed to be cruelty free! Here is the list that I found http://vidacompassion.org/main/list/company.html The PETA website apparently is a bit out of date. Edited for spelling
paws2paws Posts: 737
Jesus thats terrible. Typical animals again getting the raw deal!!!!!!! >:o( >:o( Fair play to you putting that link up for us
Baby4 Posts: 153
Here is an unpopular but valid opinion... If they don't test products / medication on animals, how will we ever know if they work for us? I love animals and certainly would not want to hurt or kill them but how can we test anything unless someone / something checks that they work okay and will do what they are supposed to? I mean medication really, cancer treatments and all that, you know?
Tir na nog Posts: 740
Every product on the market is required by law to be tested by animals for toxicity. Even products form the body shop, the actual product itself may not be tested on animals but all the ingredients which go into manufacture the product will have been tested on animals.
FoxyLockz Posts: 2448
:eek :eek :eek :eek
Thats all well and good saying that >:o( but there not even treated in a HUMANE way which i bet you they are NOT bloody disgusting this day and age if they'd "MAN" stop destroying the Rain Forest and leave the planet alone GREED AGAIN >:o( i am sure some cures for most of the Human health problems we have. And a lot of that is down to not looking after your self to obeisty, smoking etc Bloody annoys me that crap. Just always the animals Bruel the way there treated But i respect your opion but DO NOT AGREE..
lux Posts: 6270
[quote="donegalbride09":rd307xyt]Every product on the market is required by law to be tested by animals for toxicity. Even products form the body shop, the actual product itself may not be tested on animals but all the ingredients which go into manufacture the product will have been tested on animals.[/quote:rd307xyt] +1 million If you've taken an antibiotic, used a painkiller, sprayed on deodorant, eaten any canned goods and generally lived like any other person you are using something which has been tested on animals. Should we not develop new drugs to cure disease and stop suffering? What are the products supposed to be tested on? When I was younger I was into animal rights in a big way. However, a rare cancer runs in my family and the treatment is currently experimental at best, even though it is treatable. I bet anyone any money they would want whatever was necessary to be done to save a family member from dying of cancer, even if the treatment was tested on animals.
MissSplendid Posts: 250
[quote="paws 2 paws":3augta8u]Thats all well and good saying that >:o( but there not even treated in a HUMANE way which i bet you they are NOT bloody disgusting this day and age if they'd "MAN" stop destroying the Rain Forest and leave the planet alone GREED AGAIN >:o( i am sure some cures for most of the Human health problems we have. And a lot of that is down to not looking after your self to obeisty, smoking etc Bloody annoys me that crap. Just always the animals Bruel the way there treated But i respect your opion but DO NOT AGREE..[/quote:3augta8u] A cure for health problems is looking after yourself, lose weight and stop smoking?!..So if I get cancer it's my own fault because I didn't look after myself, smoked and put on some weight?!... :eek :eek
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
[quote:2cavy9ct]Re: Testing cosmetics on animals - thought this had stopped? by lux ยป 01 Oct 2010 10:08 donegalbride09 wrote: Every product on the market is required by law to be tested by animals for toxicity. Even products form the body shop, the actual product itself may not be tested on animals but all the ingredients which go into manufacture the product will have been tested on animals. +1 million If you've taken an antibiotic, used a painkiller, sprayed on deodorant, eaten any canned goods and generally lived like any other person you are using something which has been tested on animals. Should we not develop new drugs to cure disease and stop suffering? What are the products supposed to be tested on? When I was younger I was into animal rights in a big way. However, a rare cancer runs in my family and the treatment is currently experimental at best, even though it is treatable. I bet anyone any money they would want whatever was necessary to be done to save a family member from dying of cancer, even if the treatment was tested on animals.[/quote:2cavy9ct] I have to agree. I'm as compassionate and into animal welfare as the next person but when it comes to finding treatments and cures for diseases I but my family and friends before any of that. I don't want any animal to have to suffer but unless someone can give me a viable alternative this is the way it has to be done.
well think about it No exercise????? 9 times out of 10, smoking???? 9 times out of 10 leads to HEART PROBLEMS due to Smoking and not taking care you don't just get that fromgetting old or do you??? but hey what about it it's only animals they'll have the cure, all the testing there doing for years and years not even a cure for even the common cold, half of that medication doesn't even work that has been tested and there has been very bad reaction to it. My point on this it that i can undestand medication for long term illiness cancer alzimers etc but jesus try treat them with a bit more compassion dredful the way there treated. And i know all about the cancer part my dad died from lung cancer and said i sould have never started smoking????? the human race eh???? Have a NICE day O-O