Text speak

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Veruca-Salt Posts: 1542
It's killing me. It only takes an extra couple of keystrokes, why not just write your istead or ur? The instead of de? That is all.
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
The odd word doesnt bother me, but a whole post in text speak makes my eyes bleed. Im friends with a couple of the young girls from work on facebook and honest to god I cant understand a word of what they say
adorabelle Posts: 880
I can't read it - I don't even use it when texting.... I understand that some people have problems spelling (me too from time to time) but seriously.... Its lazy in my opinion....
Its banned on boards.ie and rightly so.
mrspants Posts: 4652
[quote="Scarlett O Hara ":2ziju78r]The odd word doesnt bother me, but a whole post in text speak makes my eyes bleed. Im friends with a couple of the young girls from work on facebook and honest to god I cant understand a word of what they say[/quote:2ziju78r] This! My nephew sent me text message at Christmas and i hadn't a clue what it meant! It took us ages to work it out. I felt old that day :o0
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
[quote="hotpants":1bwpyhy7][quote="Scarlett O Hara ":1bwpyhy7]The odd word doesnt bother me, but a whole post in text speak makes my eyes bleed. Im friends with a couple of the young girls from work on facebook and honest to god I cant understand a word of what they say[/quote:1bwpyhy7] This! My nephew sent me text message at Christmas and i hadn't a clue what it meant! It took us ages to work it out. I felt old that day :o0[/quote:1bwpyhy7] Same here. I don't mind the odd word and I do use it to a point when I'm texting but nothing major, I'll say txt instead of text, ur instead of your and if I'm short on word space 2 instead of to/too/two! That's about it though. With predictive text now being on practically every phone in some form or other it's easier to write the proper word. +1 on the feeling old! One of my bridesmaids is only 15 and it takes me 20mins to decipher a text or facebook message from her!
Carlow09 Posts: 234
I couldn't agree more, the odd word is ok. But a whole post or email drives me mad. I work with a girl who is a pain in the ass (R shd i say a pn n de ass) and she actually writes work emails in text speak, she boasts about how professional she is and people are actually laughing at her emails. People have had to mail her and ask her to translate the text speak in her mails :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Terri1 Posts: 1158
I hate it too...I correct English JC exams and so many students use text speak in their exams. It's a disgrace...and they don't lose too many marks either, which really annoys me! O:| O:| I can't understand a word!! I use a small amount of text speak in texts...ur, txt, 2, b4...this is when I'm writing a long text and don't want to go into a second text!
[quote="Tiredgal":z0bv3ns4]I hate it too...I correct English JC exams and so many students use text speak in their exams. It's a disgrace...and they don't lose too many marks either, which really annoys me! O:| O:| I can't understand a word!! I use a small amount of text speak in texts...ur, txt, 2, b4...this is when I'm writing a long text and don't want to go into a second text![/quote:z0bv3ns4] Thats interesting that they dont loose many marks for text speak. I would of imagined that they did.
Veruca-Salt Posts: 1542
[quote="Tiredgal":1cp19e3k][b:1cp19e3k]I hate it too...I correct English JC exams and so many students use text speak in their exams. It's a disgrace...and they don't lose too many marks either, which really annoys me![/b:1cp19e3k] O:| O:| I can't understand a word!! I use a small amount of text speak in texts...ur, txt, 2, b4...this is when I'm writing a long text and don't want to go into a second text![/quote:1cp19e3k] :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek Oh God Tiredgal, this is going to sent me over the edge all together, Batt had better keep well out of my way if he knows what's good for him!!! ;o)