Thanks

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

garfield2012 Posts: 54
Thanks
Rogue User Posts: 6101
This sounds really bad. I used to work in creches and this never would have happened. Now of course children fall and hurt themselves all the time but the way they have reacted is so unprofessional and bordering on cruelty. I would be demanding the money back and also ask them how exactly it happened. I would ask to see the accident report form and ask who was in charge when it happened and why they did not call you. You should talk to your solicitor about taking action here as it sounds like a case of neglect and very bad management. I would be worried about the other children in this centre if this is how they react to a child in obvious pain after an accident.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
The centre are under a duty to take reasonable care of the children on the camp. I would be enquiring into the circumstances of the accident, if it occurred due to their negligence ie due to inadequate supervision your sister could sue them. Accidents do happen to children even with the best of care but at the very least they should have contacted her parents to seek medical attention or sought medical attention themselves when they child was injured and in obvious pain. I would be sending them all the medical bills for the costs incurred and requesting a refund of the cost of the camp.
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
Before talk of sueing and solicitors, I would find out exactly what happened (who was supervising etc), see what the camp say now her broken fngers have been confirmed and see if they offer to make amends. It might be they did not realise how badly she was hurt. Years ago, my cousin fell off her bike and broke her arm. My nana put it in a sling just in case it was broken and called her mother. My cousin was very quite and didnt cry at all until she saw her mother and then burst into tears. As another poster said, even with the best supervison, accidents can and do still happen. I would contact the camp and explain her injuries and if your niece cannot continue with the camp I would ask for the money back.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
As a childminder if my charge had a bad fall I'd be contacting the parents fairly straight away. I'd try to calm the child and work out if she was in a lot of pain and observe for a while but if I wasn't happy and thought there could even be the possibility of a break or a bad sprain I'd be on the phone. With someone else's kid you can never be too careful. All that said, two years ago my wee niece broke her leg in the playground with both her mother and father there with her. She fell awkwardly and hurt her leg. Said she was grand and continued to play a little though then complained about the sore leg again. My brother carried her home and they put her on the couch (thinking they were humouring her) and got her a blankie and put on cartoons and she was fine, in great form, ate some treats, watched her cartoons. But when she got up to go to the toilet she again complained about the leg. It was hours and hours later that my brother and SIL realised that she had actually really hurt herself and it turned out to be a fracture. They KILLED themselves with guilt cos they didn't take her to the hospital straight away. I know your situation is a bit different cos you said your niece was crying but I just wanted to say that sometimes accidnets can happen, you know? I think you very much should get your money back as she was injured in their care and won't be attending the rest of the week. Ask more questions about what happened, who was supervising, what was written in the accident book, all of that before you involve solicitors.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
I'd agree that you need to find out what exactly happened before you go down the road of threatning legal action. My sister broke her collar bone playing soccer at a summer camp years ago (she was 14 so quite a different scenario to be fair). She knew immediately that it was broken, she heard it snap as she fell (yowza :hic ). But the camp supervisor brushed it off, insisting that she had only pulled a muscle. They slathered her with Deep Heat and let her off. Now my sister wouldn't be the most assertive person in the world (especially when she was younger) so she asked once or twice if she could see a doctor, but didn't push it. They were so insistent that it couldn't possibly be anything serious that she believed them. (I'd say she was a bit woozy and in shock what with having a broken bone and all!!) So the poor girl had to spend the night in the TOP BUNK of a bunk bed, which she climbed into with a broken collar bone - in the morning she was in enough pain to convince them that she needed an X-Ray. When they called my father he nearly murdered them all. The point of my story is - it may not be neglect at all, they may have just seen the incident, decided it wasn't serious, and maybe the child was too intimidated or scared to admit how much pain she was in. I know that was the case with my sister anyway.
garfield2012 Posts: 54
Thanks for the advice we would just like an answer to what happened the play group supervisor did not seem to fully know yesterday a my sister is going to go in later today to see if she can get a refund the poor pet feel so sorry for her!
Shadowmew Posts: 3
I would be enquiring into the circumstances of the accident, if it occurred due to their negligence ie due to inadequate supervision your sister could sue them.[img:18fz2tai]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img:18fz2tai]
katief Posts: 1900
[quote="cabbagehead":2ggfbrw7]I'd agree that you need to find out what exactly happened before you go down the road of threatning legal action. My sister broke her collar bone playing soccer at a summer camp years ago (she was 14 so quite a different scenario to be fair). She knew immediately that it was broken, she heard it snap as she fell (yowza :hic ). But the camp supervisor brushed it off, insisting that she had only pulled a muscle. They slathered her with Deep Heat and let her off. Now my sister wouldn't be the most assertive person in the world (especially when she was younger) so she asked once or twice if she could see a doctor, but didn't push it. They were so insistent that it couldn't possibly be anything serious that she believed them. (I'd say she was a bit woozy and in shock what with having a broken bone and all!!) So the poor girl had to spend the night in the TOP BUNK of a bunk bed, which she climbed into with a broken collar bone - in the morning she was in enough pain to convince them that she needed an X-Ray. When they called my father he nearly murdered them all. The point of my story is - it may not be neglect at all, they may have just seen the incident, decided it wasn't serious, and maybe the child was too intimidated or scared to admit how much pain she was in. I know that was the case with my sister anyway.[/quote:2ggfbrw7] Even if it wasn't deliberate neglect, it's still neglectful. They had a duty of care under law, no matter what their reasons of a defense are.