The back door

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

trance Posts: 3129
Is this an Irish thing, people using the back door of the house? Hubby always always comes in the back door, not a problem except last night he was off 'up the field' doing something to do with farming and I was lounging on the sofa, next thing there's a knock on the [b:3310hlh0]sitting room door [/b:3310hlh0]and it was my mother in law!! She was looking for hubby and had been knocking - on the back door, like how would I hear that and since hubby never locks the sodding back door she just strolled in. I had to laugh because she gave me and doggie such a fright he made a lunge for the door growling and scared her :o0 - was a bit pee'ed off at her just strolling in and while I don't care that hubby uses the back door, it drives me a bit mad that the in-laws do cos when you drive round the back of our house you can see us sitting in the kitchen, eating our dinner or pottering about or whatever, it's kind of more personal than knocking at the front door (or hello, phoning before you come round!), plus we haven't got blinds/curtains up round the back yet, think that needs to be made a priority!!
MrsOC09 Posts: 1175
OMG, i taught it was only me that this annoyed, i hate hate when visitors etc use the back door to peoples houses, all of DHs family do it and it drives me mad!! i always say we wouldnt have spend to much money on a front door if people werent going to use it, drives me mad, DH often tries to do it at other peoples houses and i have to stop him, its one thing if its your own house but anyone elses!! O:| phew.. rant over!!
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
It's probably a "Country" thing maybe. I know everyone always used our back door. And it was unlocked most of the time so if callers were in anyway at all regular, they'd come as far as the kitchen door before tapping and walking in. As a matter of fact, anyone who used our front door, were a sure cert of sales reps or they'd never been to our house before. I don't live in the country anymore but my brother and his wife have built their house there and when we call, we also use the back door! And so does everyone else! :wv
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Well you couldn’t do it in our house as we have a side gate which is locked so there is no access to the backdoor unless we opened the side gate. However in my mothers house “down the country” :o0 we would always use the backdoor and it’s always unlocked during the day. People would always come around the back and I think that this would be the same in most houses in the area. If you are very close with the family you’d probably just knock and walk in! The reason for this is that the kitchen is around the back and people would spend most of their time in this room so it makes sense to come around the back. I’ve no problem with it once there is a clear access to the back…obviously wouldn’t want anyone jumping a wall to get through. I can’t really see what the big deal is TBH.
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
When I am up home we'd use the back door / side doors in most houses (mum's, aunts, neighbours). Wouldn't do it at a house where I am not a regular visitor, or obviously if there is no access to the back. At a lot of houses, the drive comes up around to back door of house, so it makes sense to use it. And, generally, people would tap at the door and walk on in.
BusyDee Posts: 8527
[quote="Jane Smith":25z50hgv]It's probably a "Country" thing maybe. I know everyone always used our back door. And it was unlocked most of the time so if callers were in anyway at all regular, they'd come as far as the kitchen door before tapping and walking in. As a matter of fact, anyone who used our front door, were a sure cert of sales reps or they'd never been to our house before. I don't live in the country anymore but my brother and his wife have built their house there and when we call, we also use the back door! And so does everyone else! :wv[/quote:25z50hgv] Totally agree! We were always very suspicious of anyone that called to the front door! It depends really - my SIL gave us all strict instructions to come around to the back door when we are calling - maybe coz its less formal or something! Friends Id usually go to the front door as we would park the car beside it. EVeryone that calls to us though comes to the front door as we dont have the back drive done and there is a big step up to the back door, one of h2bs friend usually comes around to the back though but we always know when he's calling so its not a problem. Anyway the dogs are better than any doorbell or alarm!
workingmom Posts: 3429
Can't do it at our house, but in BIL, SIL and MILs houses, back door is "the entrance" to use.... you'd never dream of knocking on the front door, they prob wouldn't be able to find the key..... I think using the backdoor is more prevalent in houses where the kitchen and general living space is out the back too.
Sweet as pie Posts: 376
We built our house two years ago and id say people have come to the front door about 10 times everyone uses the back door its def and irish country thing. i wouldnt mind but i spent a lot of money on the front hall and stairs and hardly anyone gets to see it. whereas they all see my back hall/utility room which does not have the same effect at all :)
Doll Face Posts: 3721
Im a dub and we always used the back door up until a few years ago when me and dh where caught in a lets just say :-8 :-8...........position by my brother :eek :eek it wasent long till we put up a gate and got a frosted glass door now if people call they use they ring the bell !!!!!!!! If i where you id get them blinds put up pronto !!!!!! I think its more of a country thing !
cbb1982 Posts: 317
Its definitely a country thing. I know when I am at home in Ireland, everyone uses the back door, almost unheard of for a friend, neighbour or family member to use the front door!!