The back door - Page 3

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LastRolo Posts: 6892
[quote="Columbo.":34rj0tgw]what's with the working class reference?? Sure aren't we all working class (well majority of us)....dont think that's anything to do with it! Depends on the house- obviously you wouldn't be going around the back in a terraced house (unless you were a burgular perhaps :o0 )[/quote:34rj0tgw] +1 I'd say the majority of us are working class... Its definitely more of a country thing to use the back door where you can perhaps drive up to the side or around houses. My dad is a farmer and if he came in the front door with his wellies I think my mom would explode!
ott Posts: 3920
I'm from back door territory. Some of my parents' neighboors would think you had notions about yourself if you rang the front door bell. It was nearly a treat at home when we were younger if my parents let us use the front door! They give out to us now if we ring the front door bell instead of going round to the back door which is always open - that's because they don't want to have to walk to the door to let us in!
milinda Posts: 785
It's a country thing (and we are certainly all working class) I reckon and tbh I love it, I love the connection you have with neighbours and family. Back doors are still mainly left open where we live. I would be guilty of having to go looking for the key for our front door the odd time it's used. I know have a key left in the front hall. Our front door both where I grew up and where we now live would only ever be used by strangers, reps, politicians without local canvassers etc. We have a beautiful Oak feature staircase in our front hall but it doesn't bother me that people don't see it as they enter; we didn't put it in for that reason. I was warned before building our house to not to have the back door coming in to a utility, and I don't, so people just arrive into a back hall. We didn't even put frosted glass on our back door. People tend to come as far as the kitchen door and knock at that stage, or they have come even further if I was upstairs or at the front of the house. Both our families would just come in without knocking but that’s the way it is locally. I would never go to someone’s backdoor that I wouldn’t really know, and it’s likewise in return.
MiniMeonBoard Posts: 6208
[quote="Columbo.":2sk55e9g]Well you couldn’t do it in our house as we have a side gate which is locked so there is no access to the backdoor unless we opened the side gate. .[/quote:2sk55e9g] we r the same have a gate up to keep the dogs in so no-one can come round the back. I wouldnt like ppl strolling round the back. Same with my parents hse. The live in the end hse and its a semi. They lock their gate so no-one can come round but thats because their dogs would prob go for anyone that went round to use the back door. OH wont even go round. Def prefer ppl to use the front door,
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
We always use the front door at our own house. It doesn't have access to the back anyway but we're both (me and DH) used to it. I think most city/suburb people use the front door. My parents is a split level bunglaow and we'd notice strangers calling to the house looking confused as the front door wan't immediately obvious. He is from the land of terraced houses so the same for him, front door always. But any of my country relatives view you with suspicion if you even attempt to use their front door. That's a total no no.
GAA Fan Posts: 629
I've always used the back door with families and friends, mainly I think was when we were younger, people usually had carpet on their hall, so if you came in the front door and had to be brought to the kitchen you were walking on their nice clean carpet or with extensions put on houses you had to go through the sitting room to get to the kitchen, whereas when you called to the back door, that was usually where the person you were looking for was
royalgirl Posts: 274
Oh my god this drives me bats it must be a country thing. We have built across the road from hubby's mam and dad and without warning the wander in the back door and frighten the bejaysus out of me, fact is they think that is normal - for me its a no no. I have hb head annoyed over it, I remember one night after doing my tan (big girlie night out next night) and I was wandering round the kitchen in a vest top and me knickers - all sticky and stinky (from tan) and next of all hubby's auld fella wanders in the back door - i screamed the house down and dropped the pint glass of water I had in my hand, such a commotion, I don't know who felt worse about it to be honest me or my poor father in law!!!!! still after 3 years they still dont get it..........and it drives me demented O:| O:| O:|
trance Posts: 3129
[quote="royalgirl":12clxnbk]Oh my god this drives me bats it must be a country thing. We have built across the road from hubby's mam and dad and without warning the wander in the back door and frighten the bejaysus out of me, fact is they think that is normal - for me its a no no. I have hb head annoyed over it, I remember one night after doing my tan (big girlie night out next night) and I was wandering round the kitchen in a vest top and me knickers - all sticky and stinky (from tan) and next of all hubby's auld fella wanders in the back door - i screamed the house down and dropped the pint glass of water I had in my hand, such a commotion, I don't know who felt worse about it to be honest me or my poor father in law!!!!! still after 3 years they still dont get it..........and it drives me demented O:| O:| O:|[/quote:12clxnbk] THIS is what I'm afraid of!!! And if he didn't get the hint after that Royalgirl, then he ain't never getting the hint!!
I Dream in Disney Posts: 1592
We always use the back door at home, as well as neighbours. But we are from the country. Can't do it here cause we live in a terrace. Although my home house the front door is awkward to get to, you would nearly have to walk past the back door to get to the front one!! For me the kitchen and sitting room are the public areas of the house, but that's just how it is in ours. If neighbours are coming for a ceile they'll come in the back door, knock on the kitchen door and walk on in. I remember one salesman coming and walking round to the front door, Mammy had to open the window to tell him he was at the wrong door!! Also - I was really wondering what this was going to be about!!! Was worried about it!
twinbambinos Posts: 3492
I have to say I really thought this was going to be a differnt type of conversation altogether >:o) >:o) shock of my life when it was actually about back doors :yelrotflmaosmilie: its defo a country thing, all my familys houses use back door and no one knocks which drives me mad so when we were building our house our back door is about 5ft off the group (needs steps up to which we havnet gotten around to yet, and might be a while before we do >:o) >:o)