The back door - Page 4

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
When we were little we always used the back/side door to my nanas house. She and my granda are Dubs. We would go in the side gate and in the kitchen door. I always wondered about it. We never did it in any one elses house. They also had a sitting room that we were only allowed into at Christmas :o0 :o0
thepetals Posts: 532
I think it must be a country thing.. I'm a city girl and hubby is country. We moved to a new house 4 years ago - I use the front door all the time and he uses back door to come in and out... when my family visit they go to front door and when his come its to the back door...tbh I don't mind which door anyone uses as long as I know they are coming... I was washing hall floor last week and left the front door open to let it dry - was putting on the nice polish stuff to make the wooden floor gleam so had to wash first then put on 1st coat and then 1 hr late second coat goes on- so had front door open for about 3 hours in the middle of the day.... my lovely neighbour from across the road called over after about 2 1/2 hours to see was I okay as the front door was open and she was worried about me!!! I thought it was hilarious as a few weeks ago the kids (14,12,11)were swimming in a "Lake"(it was really a turlough- could have killed them!!!) and I didn't know - thought they were down at a friends house - She thought hers were up at mine - anyway same neighbour had seen them swimming and never said a word to me until I had found out from someone else...so when my kids are swimming in the middle of a field its grand sure thats what kids do - when my front door is left open /I'm apparently half dead inside... :duh: :duh: :duh:
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
Definitely think it's a country thing! We always use the back door and anyone who knows us uses the back door! The doorbell only rings when it's someone we don't know or someone who rarely calls to the house. Then there's a mad scramble to find a key to open it or we have to stick our head out the window and tell them to go around! :o0
Doll Face Posts: 3721
[quote:29yk2pi6] have to say I really thought this was going to be a differnt type of conversation altogether shock of my life when it was actually about back doors [/quote:29yk2pi6] Ha ha so did i when i first seen it !!! filthy minded wollies :o0 :o0 :o0
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
Heard recently that it is bad luck to come in the front door - supposed to go in back door and out front door! I looked at the person who told him as if he was mad - actually turns out their family is a tad mad :hyper: . It's definitely an Irish country thing.
YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
im a townie from a housing estate aswell, but saying that our front door was always unlocked if anyone was home, so its not aback door thing, i liekthe sentiment of it tho. our home house is one you could jst walk in and open the fridge kind of thing. My house now is in an estate out the country and i lock the door behind me always!!! my sis lives in same estate and we wudnt walkin to either without knocking ! i would walk around not a stitch on me (doors locked of course ) so no way would i be having an "open " house. What about a trellis gate thats free standing and would partly block peoples way straight around the back or putting plants to either side, people mite get the message. something like this but with no door kinda thing, that you could put on the drive at side of the house, and plants on the walkway and a massive welcome sign at the front door, what about leaving yoru front door wide open now while weather is nice and invite over an inlaw, or summit and they might get the hint or ask why door is open and you could say summit like" oh sure thats what a front door is for! and start piling things on the floor at back door so it cant be opened (jsut for a while) [img:3moxmwo2]http://www.oldhousejournal.com/products/TP-ALL/Landscape/images/Trellis_TP09.jpg[/img:3moxmwo2]
theoracle Posts: 7664
I think it depends on where the parking is! At ours, you park by the front door and noone bothers going all the way around the house to look for the back door, tho we live in the country. In the house we rented before, parking was at the back of the house and we always used back door really, it was just more practical for carrying in shopping etc. PS Was also hoping for something kinky when I saw the title... :o0
tiggeriffic Posts: 547
[quote="fmh62":3faxbp2j]Heard recently that it is bad luck to come in the front door - supposed to go in back door and out front door! I looked at the person who told him as if he was mad - actually turns out their family is a tad mad :hyper: . It's definitely an Irish country thing.[/quote:3faxbp2j] I was always told to go out the door you came in. Bad luck not to!